1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database Importing

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Pereira, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

What is the general long term/sort term impact of importing a database between different software's?

If you were to import a database multiple times between different forums, would there be any major issues?

As a very wild example, what could possibly arise in this case?

mybb > phpbb > smf > vbulletin > xenforo > invision power board > xenforo
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If the importers work properly and any minor issues related to groups, permissions, BB Code, etc. are resolved, none.
    Pereira likes this.
  3. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

That's good. :)

I always thought moving software was like trying to move a block house to live in another country. Apart from the obvious difficulties, eventually cracks will start to appear and perhaps even the odd block might fall off along the way.

It appears to more like packing a suitcase and just making sure you bring everything with you.

Thanks again!
  4. taylor_smith

taylor_smith Well-Known Member

We went from UBB > vBulletin > XF. Our db is cleaner now than it was previously.
  5. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

phpBB > phpBB w/ WordPress Bridge > vBulletin > vBulletin w/ WordPress Bridge > vBulletin Suite > XenForo > IPB > vBulletin > XenForo

In between this I've merged a few other sites with my own and they used

Burning Board

So the full import and convert will be

phpBB > SMF > WordPress > phpBB /w WordPress > vBulletin > SMF > vBulletin w/ WordPress Bridge > myBB > vBulletin Suite > XenForo > IPB > IPB > Burning Board> vBulletin > WordPress > vBulletin Suite > XenForo

The only issue I ever had was passwords 2 - 3x. And attachments... Things would say they imported, but I'd still end up with BB code or wrong paths to photos.