1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database gets smaller after a new add-on has been added

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by fredrikse, Nov 27, 2012.

1. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

I discovered a strange thing when I was installing a new add-on earlier to night. The database size before installation was 31.351.717 bytes. After the add-on had been installed the new database size is 30.865.285 bytes. How is that possible? (n)
  2. vVv

vVv Guest

I noticed mine got a little smaller lately as well. Didn't really add more add-ons though, but went from 10MB to 9.9MB... Which add-on was it? lol
  3. fredrikse

fredrikse Active Member

4. vVv

vVv Guest

ah, i don't have that one installed... not sure what's going on either.. >_> hopefully someone else can shed some light on it lol
    fredrikse likes this.
  5. ManOnDaMoon

ManOnDaMoon Well-Known Member

Databases have index data that take more or less space depending on your usage and if you add/delete large chunk of data.
    Also, InnoDB tables in MySQL that are altered (e.g. during an add-on installation) are automatically optimized and space can be freed and retrieved at this time.

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

That add-on doesn't alter the database. But of course there is the Rebuilding Caches stage that I imagine is the cause of this. And most likely it is for the reasons stated by ManOnDaMoon.
  7. vVv

vVv Guest

thanks for clarification guys.. :) maybe me run Optimize feature/option more often too? lol