Resource icon

Database Backup..Local & Offsite..

TheBoss

TheBoss submitted a new resource:

Database Backup..Local & Offsite.. (version 1.0) - For none techies.

1. An Easy Way For Backups For None Techy People.

After reading of Peggy`s problem in another thread I decided to try and write this guide, it will be a work in progress as I doubt I have the time to complete it in one go or I might not have enough allowences for uploading all the graphics needed.

The script I am going to guide you through is called MySQLDumper , latest stable version is v1.24 and it has multiple language support....​

Read more about this resource...

A heads up update to the original post:

If the database engine is MyISAM the backup and recovery is still very fast.. On the other hand if the database engine is InnoDB then the back up and restore slows down to a snails pace..
Under a test I did with a 2Mb database in back up mode it took nearly a full 50 mins with the InnoDB engine , not good at all
The restore of that back up took the best part 150 mins ( 2.5 hours )....
Would hate to think how long it would take with a decent size database....

Regards..

PLEASE DISREGARD this post... I think I must of been off my Meds...
The problem was at the hosts end..

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right.

It takes a few seconds to back up my XF database which is predominantly InnoDB and ~250MB.

Restoring/importing takes less than 30 seconds.

Brogan is that using MySQLDumper or some other similar script...?

Because I spent best part of 2 days trying to figure out why , I can't remember if I read a post on here or somewhere else that it is indeed a common problem when using MySQLDumper...

Using Sypex no issues at all...

Regards..

I just use this.

Code:
mysqldump -u<user> -p --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables <db_name> > /path/to/backup/<db_name>_$(date +%d.%m.%y).sql

(y) Yes , but I was giving a latest heads up on MySQLDumper script itself as a follow on to the tutorial, which is a couple of years old now..

I wasn't trying to imply that there is a problem with InnoDB itself , just MySQLDumper's inability in handling that engine..

I'm very new to XF and I've been trying to find an easy-to-understand procedure to backup and restore my forum. Unfortunately everything looks complex and scary. My question to you TheBoss is:
  1. Will following your database-backup-local-offsite instructions backup my files and my database? In other words, will this give me a complete backup in the event I may need to restore my forum.
  2. Any luck fixing the links to the images?
Thanks!

Sorry I had forgot about the images being down , I will try and get them restored in place ASAP...

Well as I said in the thread it is for none tech savy people and it is very very easy if you follow the steps outlined in the thread...

Regards.

NO... Only database...

Download your directory as needed to your pc... via Filezilla or similar app..

IE: your forum is in a folder called " community " inside the /public_html / directory on your server...
As in pic below..right click on the community directory and select download..
When its finished downloading you have a backup of all files installed on your forum ( not database )

backup2.webp

Regards..

Last edited:
Ok, I see. Should I be concerned that i don't have a "community" folder inside my /public_html / directory on my server? I have my forum files under my domain name theplugyourconnect.com (see image). Is this ok or did I mess something up in my install?

server.webp

The files would only be in the /community directory if that's where your site is installed.

If it is installed in the root then they would be under the public_html directory.

As Brogan said , yes thats fine the way it is.

Some people install to a folder called /forum or /community & some others install in the base directory of /public_html..

Simply download the /public_html directory as your backup..

Regards.

Top Bottom