1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Custom User Fields

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Garamond, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

I want to require my members to give their location, and through custom user fields I can do that now. But the problem is, there is already a user field called 'Location'. Can this default user field be made mandatory, or is this possible only through custom user fields?
    erich37 likes this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You would need an add-on or code changes to make the default Location field mandatory.
  3. Garamond

OK, thanks Brogan. I would suggest this option to be implemented by default :) for me, this is pretty vital.
  4. Garamond

Does anyone know if there is an add-on (or code mod) to make the default Location field mandatory?
  5. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

why not move the "Location" field into "custom profile fields" by default ?
  6. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

It's used in several places in the software as basic info so the option to delete it would cause problems.
  7. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

without the option to delete this field.
  8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

Why not add a "zip code" custom user field and make that the 'required' field? Unless, of course, the majority of your users/members are not in the States. Then, I'm not sure what would be the equivalent to zip code.
  9. Garamond

My forum is not a new one, and we're not in the States. We migrated from vBulletin in june, where all the existing members had filled in 'Location' (it was possible to make it mandatory in vB). Now, because of that I don't want to scrap the whole default location field, but really really need it to be mandatory. Almost none of the new members fills it in after the migration to XenForo - so in some ways it has been a step back.
  10. Don

Don Member

I agree with the sentiments noted above. I was really looking forward to Custom User Fields for the sole purpose of making the "location" field mandatory. It sounds like it's more complicated to accomplish than I am able to tackle, so add my name to the request list to make the change. Thanks.
    Garamond likes this.