Custom User Field in two locations

Neil E.

I have several custom user fields that I want for two purposes: registration and profile. An example is having "City" show up as a required field during registration and also show up in a user's profile.

City is set as Display Location>Personal Details and General Options> Field is required, Viewable on profile pages.

Using a "guest" computer, the sign up page does not show the City field. Other fields that are Preferences>Field is required are not showing up on the sign up page either. Any clues as to what I'm missing?

Jake nailed it. I thought "required" would dictate that it would be editable on registration. I set the fields to "editable + editable once" since I do not allow users to change their details after registration.

One further issue occurs: Two fields (City and Province or State) are set "viewable on profile". As such they exist in Personal Details instead of Preferences. I tried to control their order on the registration page, but they show at the top of the list. Assigning display values didn't help. Example: First Name = 1, Last Name = 2, Street Address = 3, City =4 etc. (still shows up as City/Prov or State/First Name/Last Name/Street Address/etc.)

Workaround?

One further issue occurs: Two fields (City and Province or State) are set "viewable on profile". As such they exist in Personal Details instead of Preferences. I tried to control their order on the registration page, but they show at the top of the list. Assigning display values didn't help. Example: First Name = 1, Last Name = 2, Street Address = 3, City =4 etc. (still shows up as City/Prov or State/First Name/Last Name/Street Address/etc.)

They are ordered by the group and display order. That's why you can't sort fields from different groups amongst themselves. This requires an addon to change.

OK. I'll make do for now. I'm posting the next question here because I'm still working on my forum appearance and a long way from going "live".

I filled out a bogus registration from "Joe" (with a bogus email). Nothing shows up in Users Awaiting Approval, but Joe is now in the [List All Users] list where I have to go to Edit User to see that his state is shown as Awaiting Email Confirmation. I need all registrants to be "manually approved" by admin.

My expectation is:
1) new person fills out registraion and submits it
2) I get some form of notification (in phpBB I get an email and the new person shows right on the ACP start page)
3) I check the person's details and either approve or delete them
4) if approved they are moved into the appropriate user group
5) forum software sends them an email (you have been approved, good luck etc.)

Is there an extra step where a new user has to reply to an email to even begin the process and then he shows up in the "Awaiting" list?

You can set enable manual approval in Options - User Registration. To find the ones awaiting approval you have to go to Users - Users awaiting approval. I am not sure about the email confirmation, I think there is a mod that does something like that though.

Thanks, I didn't notice the User Registration section. It has everything I need. There is a "view this user's identities" setting. What is an "identity"? Is it like a profile?

Continuing on with user registration questions, let's look at DOB and Gender. I have no need for these on the registration page. Options>UserRegistration>Require Date of Birth and Minimum Age is unchecked, but that does not remove it from the registration page. No checkbox exists for Gender. Is there another method or do I need to comment out the following section of the register_form template?

HTML:
<dl class="ctrlUnit OptOut">
<dt>{xen:phrase date_of_birth}:</dt>
<dd>
<xen:include template="helper_birthday_input">
<xen:map from="$fields" to="$user" />
</xen:include>
<xen:if is="{$dobRequired}"><p class="explain">{xen:phrase your_date_of_birth_is_required}</p></xen:if>
</dd>
</dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
<dt>{xen:phrase gender}:</dt>
<dd>
<ul>
<li><label for="ctrl_gender_male"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="male" id="ctrl_gender_male" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'male'"} /> {xen:phrase male}</label></li>
<li><label for="ctrl_gender_female"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="female" id="ctrl_gender_female" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'female'"} /> {xen:phrase female}</label></li>
<li><label for="ctrl_gender_"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="" id="ctrl_gender_" {xen:checked "!{$fields.gender}"} /> ({xen:phrase unspecified})</label></li>
</ul>
</dd>
</dl>

Top Bottom