Custom Style Rates?

Rho Delta

What are the going rates for custom styling?

I want something that looks as good as www.orangepower.com (but pet themed obviously) with kind of a HD image/National Geographic type flair.

What would I be looking at for something like this? Can anyone suggest a good developer or company that could do something like this in a reasonable timeframe?

Thanks I will check that out but in regards to my other question does anyone know what the going rates are? I want to work up a full budget before dropping $140 to buy this software.

Thanks I will check that out but in regards to my other question does anyone know what the going rates are? I want to work up a full budget before dropping $140 to buy this software.

Depends what your wanting. If your wanting custom everything down to the last image ensure you find someone that can do exactly that and not rely on stock imagery from 3rd party sources because essentially your not getting unique custom graphics. Stylers aren't always designers something you should remember.

I oddly can't find a "list" of Style makers for hire.
There should be a list.

The price will depend on alot of variables.
As with all jobs needing a price .... the more detail you give ... the more accurate the quote.
So far your description isn't detailed. Lack of details = higher price.

An indirect method of finding a Style developer would be to look at whom has released a Style in Styles section.
ie. Professional XenForo Theme Design: www.StyleUnity.com

Good Luck.

I basically want the most professional looking pet forum on the internet. I want custom details like icons, backgrounds, headers, logo, etc. It needs to be clean, use HD images of cute animals. I know there is no CMS but I would like to have featured articles with pictures on the main page. Full integration with Facebook that can import profile pictures if that is possible.

I know there is no CMS
vB doesn't have a CMS either. They have a crappy article manager called a CMS. Horrible.

but I would like to have featured articles with pictures on the main page.
XenPorta or Wordpress for the Articles.
You might also be interested in Vivvo CMS (they have a bridge).
I'd go for Wordpress, with the Wordpress Bridge. Style them to look seamless.
Here is a Wordpress Home page with xenforo forum. http://www.shadowedsoul.net/

How well done is the Wordpress Bridge? Are members registered just once? How does Facebook integration work with the bridge? I already run 2 wordpress blogs and am familiar with it but have had bad experiences specifically using wordpress with SMF 2.0 and am weary to try that again. What are the limitations of XenPorta? Is it easier to style as opposed to styling both xenforo AND wordpress to look alike, which I imagine is not easy?

How well done is the Wordpress Bridge? Are members registered just once? How does Facebook integration work with the bridge? I already run 2 wordpress blogs and am familiar with it but have had bad experiences specifically using wordpress with SMF 2.0 and am weary to try that again. What are the limitations of XenPorta? Is it easier to style as opposed to styling both xenforo AND wordpress to look alike, which I imagine is not easy?
XenPorta would be easier than Wordpress by far.

How well done is the Wordpress Bridge?
xfrocks did it, he's quite a talented guy.
It is free though, so support isn't mandated.
Are members registered just once?
I know that Xenforo handles everything and Wordpress plays more of a slave role.
Think of it more as the bridge use Xenforo to log you into Wordpress.
How does Facebook integration work with the bridge?
Facebook can log you into xenforo which logs you into wordpress.

I already run 2 wordpress blogs and am familiar with it but have had bad experiences specifically using wordpress with SMF 2.0 and am weary to try that again.
Indeed. There is a group of people trying to raise money to get a Wordpress integration that make Wordpress the essential part.
What are the limitations of XenPorta? Is it easier to style as opposed to styling both xenforo AND wordpress to look alike, which I imagine is not easy?
Xenporta Demo: http://www.8wayrun.com/
Essentially there are many many neat features to XenPorta.
They are poorly documented as Xenforo.com is currently only providing one thread per addon. As well, there is no wiki here or any way for users to document.
Xenporta inherits the style of your Xenforo.
The main reason to choose Wordpress over Xenporta is Wordpress is a SEO goldmine. As well, it provides another product to expand your site (ie. get a wordpress gallery)(Xenforo doesnt have one). Maybe XenPorta has just as good SEO as Wordpress ? I dont know.

Regardless. Sounds like you run quite a good site. For $140 you should buy a copy to tinker with and prove to yourself how good Xenforo is for your needs.

Thanks for your help. So far though I have only had 1 person approach me about doing custom work :(

Is the community here big enough to get several offers so I have some various portfolios to look at before hiring someone?

Most of us that do custom work are pretty busy already, hence why you haven't had much of a response I'd suspect. For what you are looking for I would plan to spend a minimum of $500 if you want quality.

If I do go ahead and drop that kind of cash would the custom styling work with future updates and modifications or would I be sucked into a place where I would constantly be having to pay someone to update/upgrade my site?

If I do go ahead and drop that kind of cash would the custom styling work with future updates and modifications or would I be sucked into a place where I would constantly be having to pay someone to update/upgrade my site?

Some people would offer a 1 year or 6 month updates (without charge) for a custom job they did which would entitle you the length of time the person allows after which when that runs out they would most probably charge after the time expires. It's something you should ask whomever you get to take the job on, if not negotiate a time span for updates it'll never hurt to ask.

Shop around, that's my advice. Get a price from a few and then use it to your own advantage to knock others down on their high prices given. Be smart, use your god given brain to get a bargain that suits you, and never say how high your willing to pay. There are thousands of designers out there on the web all fighting for the work. Remember, the ball is in your court, your the one paying the dosh out they all want!

There's a site, I can't remember the name of it now. But you can post what you want done on it and bids will come rolling in from designers to try and get the job from you. That's the best way to go about doing it I'd say, start a bidding war and pick which you think best suits looking at their portfolio posted up there.

That site I'm talking about is posted here somewhere in another thread, I checked it out and it was a good one that all the top designers, coders and so on use to get paid work.

Top Bottom