Custom Messaging App

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I would love a custom messaging app where users of my site can download such an app that works like Kik but is limited to members of my website only. Is such a thing possible/easily available?

Hi guys,

I would love a custom messaging app where users of my site can download such an app that works like Kik but is limited to members of my website only. Is such a thing possible/easily available?
You mean something like FaceBook's messenger?
Possible - yes
Easily available - yes (with the right amount of $$$$$ thrown at it)
Currently available - not that I know of

You could use something like ArrowChat or CometChat. Both of these have mobile chat capabilities as well as a chat bar on your site (both for private chat and for chatrooms). ArrowChat's mobile chat is web-based and is included in the cost. CometChat does have mobile apps but you will have to pay more for the version of CometChat that supports these.

You can restrict the use of both of these (definitely ArrowChat anyway as I use this) to site members and even certain groups if you wish. Only full members on my site can use ArrowChat.

You could use something like ArrowChat or CometChat. Both of these have mobile chat capabilities as well as a chat bar on your site (both for private chat and for chatrooms).
That's a chat room... I think the request is more like Skype/FaceBook Messenger feature. You would have to allow the users to create their own rooms.. and I can see some problems with that.

That's a chat room... I think the request is more like Skype/FaceBook Messenger feature. You would have to allow the users to create their own rooms.. and I can see some problems with that.
Arrowchat and Cometchat have one on one instant messaging chat just like Facebook.

As @DRE says, and as I mentioned in my post, both of these have private chat (i.e. 1-to-1 chat) as well as chatrooms. They both work pretty much like Facebook does.

As @DRE says, and as I mentioned in my post, both of these have private chat (i.e. 1-to-1 chat) as well as chatrooms. They both work pretty much like Facebook does.
They have an actual application that you install on your desktop/phone? Hmmm.. have to check that out.

EDIT:
Well, after looking it looks like it's still a web based chat that requires you to go to the forum to perform chat duties - and not an actual app that he can give to his users.

Last edited:
You could use something like ArrowChat or CometChat. Both of these have mobile chat capabilities as well as a chat bar on your site (both for private chat and for chatrooms). ArrowChat's mobile chat is web-based and is included in the cost. CometChat does have mobile apps but you will have to pay more for the version of CometChat that supports these.

You can restrict the use of both of these (definitely ArrowChat anyway as I use this) to site members and even certain groups if you wish. Only full members on my site can use ArrowChat.
I use mumble right now. What I am hoping for something where people don't have to be on the app to get alerts. That is the game-changer for me :)

They have an actual application that you install on your desktop/phone? Hmmm.. have to check that out.

EDIT:
Well, after looking it looks like it's still a web based chat that requires you to go to the forum to perform chat duties - and not an actual app that he can give to his users.
Yes, that is the issue. I need an app that will let people be AFK and still here a ping when they get messages. I use mumble right now but the issue is you can't be AFK and then called. We need something like kik or skype where you can be reachable without you needing to pay attention or have stuff on.

You can code your own in PHP (hook into XF's authentication system) and use HTML5/CSS for the front-end and simply create a wrapper iOS App.

Top Bottom