Current Phone Blackberry Bold 9000, Next Up Blackberry Torch or iPhone4 ?

So, I've had my Blackberry Bold 9000 for nearly two years and I'm looking to upgrade for my next phone.

I've narrowed my search to the Blackberry Torch or going to the 'dark side' and picking up an iPhone4.

What should I do? Should I stay in the BB family or head over to the Apple family? Or, should I be looking at another option? :confused:

With all the applications available for the iPhone and everyone making things for it, or it being top priority, I'd go for the iPhone. I will be doing when my contract ends with my Blackberry.

Give WP7 a chance as well.
Puhlease, Windows Mobile is dead in the water. They haven't put out a professional update in years, they're so irrelevant now it's not even funny. WM7 isn't going to change any of that, it'll just mean a bunch of suckers put money into microsoft's hands yet again.

Honestly, I'd wait on the upgrade a couple of months. AT&T is good, but if the rumors are true, VZW will be having the iPhone shortly, with probably an updated model.
If you're dead set on getting something immediately, look into the Android line, they're allright. If you want an iPhone, wait a few months, you might just thank yourself later.

Puhlease, Windows Mobile is dead in the water. They haven't put out a professional update in years, they're so irrelevant now it's not even funny. WM7 isn't going to change any of that, it'll just mean a bunch of suckers put money into microsoft's hands yet again.
Honestly, I'd wait on the upgrade a couple of months. AT&T is good, but if the rumors are true, VZW will be having the iPhone shortly, with probably an updated model.
If you're dead set on getting something immediately, look into the Android line, they're allright. If you want an iPhone, wait a few months, you might just thank yourself later.
Have you tried a WP7 phone?

Honestly it's a toss up between the IPhone and some of the Droid Phones. After looking at numerous comparisons, it really is a toss up. It all comes down not just to apps (Apple and Droid have more than most people will ever use), but the features of the phone and quality of network. And if you live in the U.S., it looks like a Verizon IPhone is in the bag for early next year. Just saying.

Well, after consulting with several review sites and weighing the options on what my needs were, I decided to purchase the iPhone4 32gb today. The phone arrives on Tuesday.

Thank you to all who have gave their advice :D

Well, after consulting with several review sites and weighing the options on what my needs were, I decided to purchase the iPhone4 32gb today. The phone arrives on Tuesday.
Good choice!

Have you tried a WP7 phone?
Nope, and I don't need to. All I have to do is LOOK at the disgusting pieces of garbage to know they're not for me. This isn't about the phone , however, it's about the OS, and relevance, or lack thereof.
over 5 years ago, WM6 came out. At the time, it was relevant, and all was good. I was happy with my WM5 device, but wanted WM6, so I upgraded devices (problem #1)
Now, over 5 years later, WM7 STILL hasn't been released (though, admittedly it's scheduled to 'drop' this year). What's happened in the mean time? Well, two entirely new OS'es came out and took what WAS WM's market share, chopping it up into bits and pieces. WM is no longer relevant, period.

In order to stay relevant in the electronics field, you must stay on top of development and current. Windows Mobile has failed to do that in so many was that even companies that were solely WM shops have ported over to Android with a small scattering of WM7 devices. You can defend your phone all you want, but the fact is that Windows Mobile is irrelevant any more. WM7 isn't going to change that, because we all know that it's just going to be the same thing. You'll wait another 5+ years for real updates, while technology comes up and kicks you in the ass for using an outdated phone.

Sorry, kids, WM is dead and buried. It was great for a while, but Microsoft screwed this one up. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Good choice!

Nope, and I don't need to. All I have to do is LOOK at the disgusting pieces of garbage to know they're not for me. This isn't about the phone , however, it's about the OS, and relevance, or lack thereof.
over 5 years ago, WM6 came out. At the time, it was relevant, and all was good. I was happy with my WM5 device, but wanted WM6, so I upgraded devices (problem #1)
Now, over 5 years later, WM7 STILL hasn't been released (though, admittedly it's scheduled to 'drop' this year). What's happened in the mean time? Well, two entirely new OS'es came out and took what WAS WM's market share, chopping it up into bits and pieces. WM is no longer relevant, period.

In order to stay relevant in the electronics field, you must stay on top of development and current. Windows Mobile has failed to do that in so many was that even companies that were solely WM shops have ported over to Android with a small scattering of WM7 devices. You can defend your phone all you want, but the fact is that Windows Mobile is irrelevant any more. WM7 isn't going to change that, because we all know that it's just going to be the same thing. You'll wait another 5+ years for real updates, while technology comes up and kicks you in the ass for using an outdated phone.

Sorry, kids, WM is dead and buried. It was great for a while, but Microsoft screwed this one up. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
As you haven't tried the phone, you opinion is simply biased towards Apple (how it seems to me at least anyway). The history surrounding the OS is irrelevant. You could say the exact same thing about Windows, from XP -> W7. Took them years to make vista and it was crap, apple ate their market share along with linux albeit no where near as the extent to which their mobile share has been eaten (as people tend to replace their phones far more often than their desktops or laptops). W7 came out. Boom. Fixed the problem and I believe WP7 will fix it too (or at least the start).

I think Microsoft are doing a lot of things right at the moment and their push in the mobile market is just the start as they are investing lots and lots of money so they are serious about what they are doing and they understand the competition and pressure on them to gain that market share back.

I don't want to sound like an MS fan boy. I actually hated the previous Windows mobile operating system. The current one is very similar to the Zune HD system which is why I love it, I just wish Microsoft would release the Zune HD globally or at least here in the UK. You are right in the fact it took MS far too long and they did shoot themselves in the foot however, I don't think it's ever too late as I believe it's never too late with mobile phones. People (at least in england) tend to upgrade their phones every year. Every year. They will upgrade to whatever they think is the "best" right at that time not what was best last year or a few months ago. If WP7 continues to push forward and people start to like it then they will start to switch to it. If Apple's next iPhone blows WP7 out the water then people will upgrade to that. Apple has truly flipped the mobile market on it's head as they took them by surprised, which IMO is excellent, as that's what all the big lazy mobile companies needed to get them moving and get them to start making excellent hardware and software for us to use. More competition the merrier.

I hope I didn't offend anyone in my post as that was certainly not my intent.

As you haven't tried the phone, you opinion is simply biased towards Apple (how it seems to me at least anyway).
Then it seems to you incorrect. I started out with WM, back in the day, when it was relevant. Now, it's a footnote in history, because Microsoft couldn't keep up with their competition. I'm not even betting on Apple right now, because google's the one that's going to end up with the majority share.

The history surrounding the OS is irrelevant.
Wrong. The history surrounding the OS is VERY relevant. Microsoft dropped the ball and ignored their competition for 5+ years,t hen suddenly claims 'Oh we've got the best'? I've seen what their "OS" can do, and it aint anything worthwhile.
The fact is that history repeats itself, especially with larger companies. Microsoft will do the exact same thing again.

You could say the exact same thing about Windows, from XP -> W7.
Nonsense. Name ONE competitor that came out (from scratch) in between XP and Vista (Vista was the next major update, not 7). You can't.
Now, name ONE competitor that came out (from scratch again) between WM6 and WM7.
Apple (4 major releases)
Google (2 major releases so far)
The point of technology is to be current. Nobody can compete with Windows for desktops, it's a given Linux is EXCELLENT as a server, but for home work, just not there yet. Too many driver issues, compatability issues, game issues. Mac OS? It's always been Microsoft's competition, but the fact of the matter is that it has just a minor portion of the desktop OS share. Why? Because the smart individuals know that you can't DO anything on a mac but play with graphics. Sure, you might be able to do emulate windows, but, seriously, you can't be windows.

their push in the mobile market is just the start
Microsoft's "push" in the market isn't a "push" at all. It's a futile attempt to regain just a bit of their glory days in the market. They were innovative back in the day, when it came to phones, but they've let the world pass them by.

Top Bottom