XF 1.1 Current options for dealing with spam registrations?

CTXMedia

What options, add-ons, etc. are currently available for XF?

I've got spam filtering in place on my IP.Board but will lose it once we migrate and don't fancy manually dealing with human spammers all day long.

What do the rest of you XF site owners use to combat spam?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

By default it's either ReCaptcha or Q/A you can use. There is no option to enter (by default without installing a mod) a secondary backup like StopForumSpam e.t.c. Although there are mods for it you can use.

I only use ReCaptcha and to be honest I've been very surprised my forum has not been overrun with spammers - using just that. The MyBB forum I run would have be slaughtered with spammers using just the same thing, I have to use 3 measures there and one is StopForumSpam.

Yeah, I'll have ReCap and QA setup - which should deal with most bots - but it's the human spammers I will need to combat and I wondered how, specifically, people were dealing with that (in light of there being no default XF option as yet!) ... (y)

What do the rest of you XF site owners use to combat spam?
Good ol' moderation activity around the clock, :oops:

But just to be safe, :whistle:
I think you've already read this, but just to be sure: http://xenforo.com/help/spam/

Ones I've used in the past :

StopForumSpam ( included ) - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenutiles-tools.9754/
AntiSPAM - Prevent Links and Emails - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/splendidpoint-com-antispam-prevent-links-and-emails.18431/

(y)

Just to be clear, you cannot use Re Capture and Q/A together at the same time with XenForo. It's one or the other, not both. It comes with the Spam cleaner, although I don't fully understand how that works yet, not looked into it much and had no need to so far.

Personally I would like the option added there myself to use "Q/A and ReCapture" at the same time (as a new option) for doing.

Yeah, I'll have ReCap and QA setup - which should deal with most bots - but it's the human spammers I will need to combat and I wondered how, specifically, people were dealing with that (in light of there being no default XF option as yet!) ... (y)
We use Q&A, and moderate everyones first posts (y)

(though not practical on large forums..)

Really you need to have something there to deal with HUMAN spammers, they are the biggest issue these days I found with the MyBB forum I'm running. Once I installed StopForumSpam running alongside Q/A and standard MyBB Captcha image used (all 3 together). It stopped spammers ever since, which prior to installing I was having real big issues with Human spammers joining and was just about ready to shut the site down. Q/A and ReCaptcha is OK for dealing with spam Bots, but it's no defence again human spam and why definitely at some point will need a service like SFP if you ever hope to let members join without manual approval.

That's not even an option for me, way too much hard work doing that all the time. If I enable file logging with STP on the MyBB forum, I get well over 50 Human spammers blocked and rejected each day by SFP. They've bypassed QA and Captcha first and have been blocked by SFP last, otherwise they'd be in and registered. I sure ain't manually checking 50+ new registrations each day knowing all will most likely be spammers anyway.

That's why I stopped logging all the time because the file grows massive in size very fast.

StopForumSpam - alone without using any of the others listed has worked bob-on for me, there's been no need to think about looking further past it to deal with Human spam better.

You can select one or the other, not both.

I use user group promotions - the first 5 posts are pre-moderated

How do you do that? User Groups and Promotions , an add-on or conditional code?
I have looked at V1.1 Promotions and User Groups but don't see how to set a User Group to Moderated.
Under General Permission in the User Group Edit panel there is a reference to "Follow message moderation rules:" but no clue what that means...

I find most of my spammers do not make it past the add-on made from Lawrence's "limit sig" tutorial. However, the majority of spammers use profile-spam, like their URL and an about. I'm planning on adding functionality to Lawrence's add-on to fight that.

To be honest, I would love to see something like IP.Boards spam service, it hasn't let me down once yet and has stopped a lot of spammers from signing up.

To be honest, I would love to see something like IP.Boards spam service, it hasn't let me down once yet and has stopped a lot of spammers from signing up.

Yeah but! Why pay for that spam service when it's free offered by StopForumSpam? Are you aware also that IPB removed all StopForumSpam mods from their download section so people couldn't use it for free with IPB.

Also, I would love to know where IPB get their spam details to block from, are they stored in their own database, I'm presuming so? Or are they tapping into another site like StopForumSpam e.t.c. I would sure hope they are not doing the later, tapping into a free 3rd party site for spam details and then asking their customers to pay them for using it.

I suspect they don't do that, but really I have no idea how they work it there. And it does make you wonder how they can have huge spammer details to hand to block very soon after they first introduced it.

Top Bottom