XF 1.1 Current options for dealing with spam registrations?

CTXMedia

What options, add-ons, etc. are currently available for XF?

I've got spam filtering in place on my IP.Board but will lose it once we migrate and don't fancy manually dealing with human spammers all day long.

What do the rest of you XF site owners use to combat spam?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

How much is it ? Does it automatically update ?

It's included in your IP.Board support license (but stops if you don't renew). AFAIK it uses a pool of spammer info gathered from all participating sites which is then used to inform and/or ban known spammers when they try to register at other boards participating in the service. I don't know whether they use any third-party services to enhance the content of the spam database but it's very effective; I certainly noticed the absence of it when I let my IPB renewal lapse recently.

I'm still working through my to-do list from the migration the weekend before last, and haven't quite got around to putting any anti-spam measures in place yet, so any info anyone can offer in that regard - add-ons, services, etc. would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Yeah but! Why pay for that spam service when it's free offered by StopForumSpam? Are you aware also that IPB removed all StopForumSpam mods from their download section so people couldn't use it for free with IPB.

Also, I would love to know where IPB get their spam details to block from, are they stored in their own database, I'm presuming so? Or are they tapping into another site like StopForumSpam e.t.c. I would sure hope they are not doing the later, tapping into a free 3rd party site for spam details and then asking their customers to pay them for using it.

I suspect they don't do that, but really I have no idea how they work it there. And it does make you wonder how they can have huge spammer details to hand to block very soon after they first introduced it.

Actually you don't really pay for it, as long as you're an active customer you get all of their services for free which is the built in skin maker, spam service, etc.

Also they keep their own database and admins mark the users as known spammers etc and then when they try to register on another IPB site that has the spam service in use it stops them.

How much is it ? Does it automatically update ?
Have you ever used Stop Forum Spam ?

The only way to use it is to have an active license and no, have never used it before.

But I would like to see something like the IP.Spam service over here just with different terms of use, basically have it free to use or something else.

Actually you don't really pay for it, as long as you're an active customer you get all of their services for free which is the built in skin maker, spam service, etc.

I've used IPB before, I know how the license thing works like you say. But I don't tend to agree entirely with you, because your being forced to keep renewing your license to use the spam tool feature. I was happy to carry on using the version I was back then, no longer upgrading the forum past it any further. So in a sense I had no need to keep paying IPB following the upgrade path any longer, but they force you to do it if you want to carry on using the spam tool. So basically I would have been paying them to use that alone.

Fair enough if your following the upgrade path all the time, but if your not it's a different story then. And what annoyed me is that they've made sure there's no StopForumSpam free add-on as an alternative to fall back on. A few people kicked a big fuss up over it after MATT or Charles removed StopForumSpam from the add-on section on purpose because they started their paid spam tool service.

Worse thing is you can't run IPB without it either, not unless you want a zillion spam bots registering each day.

I've used IPB before, I know how the license thing works like you say. But I don't tend to agree entirely with you, because your being forced to keep renewing your license to use the spam tool feature. I was happy to carry on using the version I was back then, no longer upgrading the forum past it any further. So in a sense I had no need to keep paying IPB following the upgrade path any longer, but they force you to do it if you want to carry on using the spam tool. So basically I would have been paying them to use that alone.

Fair enough if your following the upgrade path all the time, but if your not it's a different story then. And what annoyed me is that they've made sure there's no StopForumSpam free add-on as an alternative to fall back on. A few people kicked a big fuss up over it after MATT or Charles removed StopForumSpam from the add-on section on purpose because they started their paid spam tool service.

Worse thing is you can't run IPB without it either, not unless you want a zillion spam bots registering each day.

I've seen sites run without it before, but they had answer and question, email verification, and a cool form of reCAPTCHA where you had to put an image together.

Is there just a StopForumSpam add on that works that isn't XenUtiles? I don't really need all the rest that comes with that.

There was, I installed it and then reported back it was no longer compatible with XenForo 1.1. Since there's been no fix version of it released because it was planned to be included later in XenUtiles. So no, I don't think there is unless I missed another mod doing it, don't think I have.

Top Bottom