Curiosity - Mars Science Laboratory

Touchdown safely :)

congratulations Nasa, amazing job, amazing people. *bows down*

edit: first image comes through.

I arrived at work just after touchdown. I did get to see the post landing news conference.

Way to go JPL! You have done it again, the best in the world!

fos

Hopefully it doesn't end like this:
TotalRecallArnoldScream.jpeg

Hopefully it doesn't end like this:
TotalRecallArnoldScream.jpeg

That scene in total recall always makes me laugh. It's one of the most memorable scenes that is up there with the scene in robocop where the guy drives into the Toxic waste dump. :ROFLMAO::LOL: "I'm melting" "help me?"

But yeah, it always makes me chuckle when hollywood really don't follow science forgetting the fact the low pressure and temperature would have killed him right away. But hey!! he said he would be back and he didn't disappoint. :LOL:

Just found out my brother-in-law and his wife worked on the Curiosity.

Yes, we both worked on it. Brenda was a thermal systems engineer responsible for making sure the rover launched, traveled there, landed, operates within acceptable temperature zones, etc (an enormous undertaking). She had several subsystem thermal models as well as the overall model of the rover. She also did analysis for several landing zones to help determine where Curiosity should land (including Gale crater where it did land). She was extremely involved and I'm sure I'm not listing half of what she did.

I worked on one of the ten science instruments called tunable laser spectrometer (TLS) as a mechanical design engineer. The suite of instruments is called SAM which stands for Sample Analysis at Mars. TLS is used to detect methane, carbon dioxide, and water (i.e. evidence of life). I designed, analyzed, fabricated, and oversaw the assembly of several key components as well as the final alignment. As with many of the instruments on board Curiosity in SAM, TLS has the honor of being the highest precision instrument of its kind ever sent to another planet.

As you can tell, we're both excited that the landing went very well. All initial assessments of the rover and instrumentation indicate everything is alive and well. The landing was "soft" per specification relative to the rocket blast to get it into Earth's orbit and send it on its way to Mars. I can tell you that the last calibration and check out on late June showed a completely healthy set of instruments as well as the rover. So, that means everything survived being strapped to a rocket so theres no reason to believe that the landing on Mars would have caused any damage. We will know more over the next days and weeks as we begin to wake-up the rover and it's instrumentation.

That's it for now...

Just found out my brother-in-law and his wife worked on the Curiosity.

Another thing I liked about this project is that the majority of the contracts jobs went to the American people which created jobs as well as having some good science and discoveries for the following years to come. Everything about this mission is positive in my eyes from the people/contractors that built it to the mission itself. Winner all round.

Another thing I liked about this project is that the majority of the contracts jobs went to the American people which created jobs as well as having some good science and discoveries for the following years to come. Everything about this mission is positive in my eyes from the people/contractors that built it to the mission itself. Winner all round.

They both work at JPL. Yes, my brother-in-law IS a rocket scientist. Worst part? We went to the same college and took some of the same classes. I got better grades. :mad:

It's absolutely incredible the technology exists to do this.

I was also stunned by how the Mars Orbiter was able to catch it.

imagesizer

Couldn't agree more. This for me is the image which truly showed the expertise of the people from nasa and other space agencies which adjusted their orbiters to catch this. The other thing that matched this image was the video from the lander as curiosity made it's descent. Truly a moment what can be done and how far we've advanced.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nasa did a report once that suggest we actually do have the technology to do this, but it would be very costly. Mostly because we couldn't do this on a long time span... ie... Some changes would need to be applied fairly quickly to prevent and limit the amounts of gasses from seeping out of Mars's current thin atmosphere in the early stages.

Get beyond the timing and the cost and it is indeed possible and do able

Top Bottom