XF 1.1 Cron job causing forum to hang

At :50 every hour the forum has been hanging and people have been getting timeouts, I suspect that this probably ties in with the "downgrade expired users upgrade" cron job.

How important is it to run this every hour, it's a paid forum & the forum is managed by amember.

I've disabled it and will know later if it't the issue

Do you have a lot of users purchasing upgrades? Otherwise that cron shouldn't be very heavy.

Further investigation is required. Try running "top" around that time to see what process is eating up resources. A screenshot of "top" while the server is slow will help.

Can you look at the MySQL process list to see if anything is showing up at that time? I really don't expect this script to be the issue.

If you're not using user upgrades, then it's ok to disable.

Do you have a lot of users purchasing upgrades? Otherwise that cron shouldn't be very heavy.

Further investigation is required. Try running "top" around that time to see what process is eating up resources. A screenshot of "top" while the server is slow will help.

No one purchases upgrades as all that is handled by amember and it's just a single purchase

I have no Idea what top is!!!!

Just gone past :50 and no issues with the cron disabled

Do you have shell access to your web server? Sometimes you have to request shell access from your host. Once you are connected to the shell you can run commands, like the "top" command. Mike's suggestion that you check the mysql processlist is similar. Run this shell command to connect to mysql:

mysql -umysqluser -pmysqlpass

That will take you to the mysql prompt. Then run this query in the mysql prompt:

SHOW PROCESSLIST;

Top Bottom