1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating my own style (that can be imported at migration time)

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by CyclingTribe, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Before I migrate to XF I want to have a go at creating my own skin to mimic my current site.

However, I don't want it being overwritten if I run an upgrade and I would, ideally, like to be able to export it so that when I finally do migrate I can import my skin into the final XF install (I may install a fresh copy before migrating!!).

How would I go about this please?

Shaun :D
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Styles aren't overwritten during upgrades so you can safely create one and/or export/import it.

This is how I did it when I migrated.

Created the style and defined all the user groups, forums, etc.
    Basically I set the site up in its entirety, just without any users or posts.

Then I took a backup of the database and kept that as my master clean installation.

I then performed a test import and checked what needed to be done, creating a checklist of actions to be taken post import.

Then once I was ready to do the final import, I reloaded the backed up clean database, redid the import and ran through the checklist.
    Total downtime for a double import from phpBB3 -> vB -> XenForo was under 2 hours.
    ShadyX likes this.
  3. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Brogan is it also fairly straightforward to export and import a style? It would be a shame for me to lose the styling I have done on my test conversion, but the "real" conversion when I do it will be on a different server etc, so I was hoping I can export the style I have done on the test site, then import it into the new installation.
  4. CyclingTribe

Yeah, thanks, Paul, but this is sort of what I was hoping for too - instructions on how to export (package-up) a style you've created, so you can apply it again after a complete fresh reinstall?

Shaun :D
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Exporting and importing styles is straight forward - you just click the button in the ACP and browse to the .xml file, more or less the same as you do with any add-on.
    You can safely export and import styles to and from any XenForo installation - assuming of course any add-ons included in the style are present in both installations, and both installations are at the same software level.

The Help Manual explains in a bit more detail: http://xenforo.com/help/styles/

The only thing you need to be aware of is the images don't export, so you will need to FTP the style image directory from and to the servers: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/style-images-dont-export-with-themes.6979/
    Ingenious and GeeksChat like this.
  6. CyclingTribe

Perfic ... thanks :D
  7. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Thanks Brogan.