1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Creating a thread as a category?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by T Money, Dec 27, 2015.

1. T Money

T Money Active Member

Normally as I understand it, a thread belongs to a forum, which in turn belong to a category:

Is there a way to create a thread as a category, thereby bypassing a forum page?
  2. wang

wang Well-Known Member

I do not think that that is possible.
  3. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

What's the end goal?

You can swap the category for a forum (forums can have sub-forums), in which you could create a thread.

|- Threads
    |- Subforum
    |-- Threads
  4. T Money

T Money Active Member

I want to create a single thread only that belongs to one category (and no more threads will be allowed), hence do not require a forum page to minimize the hassle.

For example: for this thread "Creating thread as a category?", I wish to place it in the main "Forums" page and go directly here, without going to "Xenforo Community Support".
  5. Jeremy P

You could create a forum (instead of a category) and disable all posting to it for everyone but admins, but that still wouldn't display the thread in the node list.

What I would do is create a (stickied and closed) thread in a forum somewhere, and create a link node to it. It still requires your thread to be in a forum, but it will at least be in the node list. This is what is done with the FAQ node here:

Otherwise it would require custom development.
    Mr Lucky likes this.
  6. T Money

T Money Active Member

Jeremy P thanks, this looks like a good alternative.
    What do you think about creating a page node? Is there an advantage/disadvantage setting up a page node vs. link node?
  7. Jeremy P

A page node could work too, it would really be down to your own needs and preference. A page node works like a static page on a website (see https://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/ for an example).

A link node can link to anything, a thread, post, or even an entirely different website.