1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Way People Used To Make Money In The Old Days

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deepmartini, Jan 21, 2011.

?

Would this idea work today?

1. Yes, there's a buyer out there for everything.

90.9%
  2. No way! That's just gross!

9.1%
  3. I'm going to try this and get back to you.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

I laughed my head off when I saw this old magazine article. But, hey when times are tough people come up with some crazy ideas. LOL [​IMG]

butterfly1.jpg butterfly2.jpg butterfly3.jpg butterfly4.jpg butterfly5.jpg butterfly6.jpg

2. Deepmartini

I just noticed that you can't zoom in on thumbnails once you click on them, making it hard to read. Could this be a feature to add to the thumbnail viewer? Ability to zoom in closer. Seems like a simple fix which would add tremendous value to forums.

3. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Looks fine on my phone :)

4. Deepmartini

Re-posting the images full size so you can read the article. Article is from the 1920's and is in the public domain.

butterfly1.jpg butterfly2.jpg butterfly3.jpg butterfly4.jpg butterfly5.jpg butterfly6.jpg

5. Deepmartini

Yeah but you can't zoom in when viewed on your computer.

6. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

They still do. A quality specimen costs around $25-75 now. I can only imagine what a rare, extinct specimen would cost.

7. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

A Google search for Butterfly Jewelry throws many such vendors.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It makes no difference whether you embed them as thumbnails or full size, you can still zoom in.
    Just hold CTRL and move your mousewheel.

9. Deepmartini

Yeah but a lot of people don't know how to do that. It would be nice if there were a link that says "view full size".

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is.

Top right hand corner of the lightbox.

11. Deepmartini

OK I see it, it's "open in new window" which isn't ideal. Would be better to be able to click thumbnail, view image then click again and zoom in on it. Opening a new window takes you out of the site experience. Or set thumbnails to show full size upon clicking. Why have them still be shrunken?

Sador likes this.
  12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

strange that your attachments in your very first post were disappearing when hoovering over those attachments.
    Is this a XF-bug ?

13. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Option 1. BTW I don't think it's gross, but I do believe there is something wrong with people that like to keep/collect animal corpses, unless it's for scientific research.

14. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Agreed.

15. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

16. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

Yeah happening here too, on FF 3.6.13

bug.jpg

17. Deepmartini

Wierd. Must be a bug. Hope they spot this and correct it.

18. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

There is a market for everything... you just have to find it, exploit it, manipulate it, and put yourself right at the top of it to make the most from it.

Marketing begins at birth (hospital, clothes, stroller, etc) all the way to death (casket, flowers, burial / cremation). Everything from birth to death... marketing, positioning, money can be made... what you do in-between is the interesting part.

19. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Old Job: Door to Door Encyclopedia Salesman !

20. Deepmartini

Don't forget about the friendly neighborhood Television Repair Man or Milkman Delivery Guy.