cPanel

Vitaly

Hey guys, I have a really quick question.
I've gotten myself into something, I have no knowledge about, and I just dived in.
I bought XenForo, and I've bought Shared Hosting from http://asmallorange.com/hosting/
And I had no clue I needed cPanel, well cause I have no knowledge is to what I'm doing.
I'm going to just read on a lot of what I need to know about Servers, the in's and out's.
For cPanel, can someone guide me in the right direction is to where I should buy it at, thanks.
I know I shouldn't have bought all this stuff, without looking into it.
I'm not the brightest, but thanks.

If you bought shared hosting, it should come with cPanel, and you should have received the site to access it in your welcome email. You don't buy cPanel on a shared hosting account.

If you have a VPS or dedicated server you would buy cPanel.

I've bought Shared Hosting from http://asmallorange.com/hosting/

AsmallOrange provides Cpanel with shared hosting so you already have everything you need assuming you already have a domain to use with your hosting.

This is what you need to do:
  1. Open the welcome e-mail you recieved when you bought hosting and you should see the DNS listed on there.
  2. Now log into your domain registrar's website and change the DNS for your domain to the one provided by Asmallorange.com
  3. It would take a few hours for the new DNS to propogate and your domain to point to your new hosting account's IP.
  4. Once your domain is pointing to Asmallorange server, you can log into the Cpanel using yourdomain.com/cpanel using the login details that should be in your welcome e-mail.
  5. Then you need to upload the xenforo script using FTP and create a mysql database using Cpanels option that says database wizard (or something like that)
  6. Once you have the xenforo script uploaded you just need to follow what comes on the screen as its all straight farward.

If you bought shared hosting, it should come with cPanel, and you should have received the site to access it in your welcome email. You don't buy cPanel on a shared hosting account.

If you have a VPS or dedicated server you would buy cPanel.
On a related note... I never need all the "junk" that cPanel does since I basically do my DNS elsewhere and all I need is some simple access to mySQL, etc. I just got through installing Webmin (been a LONG time since I used it) and restricted the port via iptables to only allow connections from my home IP. Everything else drops. Forgot how "handy" for some of the quick stuff it could be - even though I'm more comfortable (read feel safe) doing it via SSH instead of having a script do some of it. :)

The other reason I am looking at it is I'm thinking about getting a third server and setting it up with Virtualmin Pro and then having it in case I find some folks that I trust that needs some hosting (that I know won't abuse it) to provide to them free.;)

Ahhh thanks guys.
I haven't received the email with my details yet.
I went back to the confirmation email, and it said up to 24 hours to send the email to me.

EDIT: I'm setting this up now (:
Got the email, and it seems to be propagated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom