Courier Services

James

Is it just me that have bad experiences with courier services (UPS especially)?

At 5:30am, my item was On Vehicle for Delivery Today according to the UPS tracking service. It's now 23:14 and my item still hasn't been delivered.

Perhaps they could not afford to put fuel in the delivery truck ;)

usps has been decent for domestic and international, though I've not used ups in the last year.

At 5:30am, my item was On Vehicle for Delivery Today according to the UPS tracking service. It's now 23:14 and my item still hasn't been delivered.

I had this happen once and called the service center to investigate. For that instance, the package was scanned to be put on a truck but was accidentally left at the distribution station. It was put on another truck the next day and was delivered promptly.

Otherwise, out of the number of packages I have shipped, I've rarely had problems with pick-up or delivery. I've noticed problems when it's a new guy doing the route, but the usual guy is punctual.

Edit: I use UPS for shipment of parts, servers and other misc. stuff within America. From Japan, I usually use EMS or the Japan Postal service. UPS and FedEx are prohibitively expensive (from Japan) to use but are good for overnight or 3rd day priority shipments.

I'll tell you what, I have people steal packages right form the front door because a courier decided leaving a 497$ item in a clearly marked package in front of my front door was an awesome idea when nobody was home. Some things just need signatures .

I'll tell you what, I have people steal packages right form the front door because a courier decided leaving a 497$ item in a clearly marked package in front of my front door was an awesome idea when nobody was home. Some things just need signatures .
I've had this happen, as well as have had -couriers- steal packages.

Or something similar to this (Though most of the time they do not even knock, and I'm lucky if they decide to leave the package).
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945275

I've had this happen, as well as have had -couriers- steal packages.
The only two packages I've ever had stolen were by DHL.
I ordered a UMPC and it was snatched up by DHL employees twice. DHL admits it.

UPS charges me an arm and a leg. Major scam - they must kickback crazy money to ebay.

USPS is the best value.

The only two packages I've ever had stolen were by DHL.
I ordered a UMPC and it was snatched up by DHL employees twice. DHL admits it.

UPS charges me an arm and a leg. Major scam - they must kickback crazy money to ebay.

USPS is the best value.
I prefer USPS, as they even deliver faster than FedEx and UPS most of the time.

They're all as good/bad as each other.

We've had packages left at the depot, packages put on the van for delivery but taken back to the depot because the driver didn't have time/couldn't be bothered, packages left outside the front door, packages which have turned up looking like they were dragged from the depot, packages gone missing/stolen, etc.

Occasionally we even get a packaged delivered safely, on time, and in good condition.

My rule of thumb is...if it is not medical in nature...is not life or death, or will not make or brake you...give them slack the first time. If packages go buh-byes, the best thing to do is contact the shipping party (online merchant , catalog company, drop shipped items as there is a long middle man chain most of the time with these. ) and see if they can take care of you. If they refer you to the shipper (which they authorize you to use, but they will NEVER blame them directly as I think some of the larger companies sign agreements saying they can't bash the courier while receiving bulk pickup/shipping deals, otherwise you would probably never see free shipping), also places like my favorite online store that allow customers to publicly post will delete your posts if you bash the couriers especially UPS for some reason.

I tried to post about a tv that UPS had delivered to me at the site I purchased from. The delivery guy (I can tell he just got his commercial license and probably just passed his DOT inspection) walks down my driveway with a 40' tv on a handtruck with more than 50% of the box sitting over the sharp edge and POP there goes my tv screen. He didn't know I was watching him the whole way down driveway and he tried to play it off. He didn't want to lose his job so he made my delivery more painful.

Long story short, UPS said they were not responsible for it as it made it to my house or some other line that resembled the same color as their shirts. When I spoke to the merchant again and let them know how bad UPS had been in that situation, they were to send me out a new tv once receiving my return item and $200 credit to the store for my troubles (because buying from them made me miss a local sale price that they beat and was no longer available.) Unfortunately the tv went out of stock and I had to select another one which kind of sucked because I bought my family all matching televisions and now have an oddball.

On another note...I have had the best experiences with UPS as all of the other ones ALWAYS deliver packages to me in the most crap condition. You really have no alternative but to deal with them (the huge companies) unless you want to pay ridiculous money and when ordering from most merchants you don't even have that option. Just the 2 or 3 couriers they offer.

Top Bottom