Add-on Copy Group Permissions from Group

iamjudd

Not sure if this is possible but I would love to see an addon that would allow you to simply copy the exact permissions from one group to a new group when creating a new group. Or maybe like a "inherit permissions from group" option.

Would be willing to pay but have a limited budget.

Not sure if this is possible but I would love to see an addon that would allow you to simply copy the exact permissions from one group to a new group when creating a new group. Or maybe like a "inherit permissions from group" option.

Would be willing to pay but have a limited budget.

I want one of these as well... I looked into making it, but it looked more complex than I had time to do just for myself.

Get in touch with me if you're interested.

Liam

I know all that, this would just be basically a timesaver sort of thing. For example on my forums we have multiple groups that all have the same permissions and such and it's just a bit annoying going through all the permissions everytime we adjust/add/whatever to the permissions that need to go across just the specific set of groups. (Hope that made sense)

Why do multiple groups have the same permissions?

Set the common permissions in a base group.

Why do multiple groups have the same permissions?

Set the common permissions in a base group.
Its a gaming community and we have a couple of game servers so the groups are basically their in game statuses with a few extras permissions from regular users but they are not full blown forum mods.

I guess what you are saying makes sense though but we have way to many members now and the way things are setup it would be a nightmare to go through everything again.

I guess what you are saying makes sense though but we have way to many members now and the way things are setup it would be a nightmare to go through everything again.
Maybe so but you only have to do it once.

As XenForo develops, there will be new permissions added. Currently you will have to go through every group to give them the new permissions if you want them to access these. With the correct way of doing it that @Brogan has linked you to, you would only have to switch these permissions on in one group for everyone who requires these to have them.

Really? lol. Setting up permissions for user groups manually is the correct way? The add-on mentioned above does it all in a blink of an eye so that makes it wrong, does it?
Doing things automatically doesn't make them right either. As many people with incorrect billing will attest to when something has fouled up.

The correct way (ie the way the XenForo system is designed) is to set up cumulative permissions using multiple usergroups. You can do it your way by having various usergroups all with the same permissions. That will work, but it's not efficient. For example, if you have 10 user groups with identical permissions and you ever need to add or remove say 3 permissions, that's 10 groups you have to open and change. With cumulative permissions, if you set these up correctly then you only have to make the change in one group and then everyone that this applies to will have the change applied to them.

This is exactly what I found as the forum I help with moved from vB to XF. You REALLY SHOULD completely re-think the way you view permissions. "We've always done it like this" isn't sufficient.

So, to re-iterate the above.

You should have ALL your members set up in a UserGroup with a base, common set of permissions.
Then each category of increased membership is placed in a secondary usergroup which has ONLY those extra permissions this group is entitled to.

If your structure is incremental (i.e as members get "promoted") then add them to yet another secondary group with ONLY the next set of permissions. And so on.

With the base level of permission (things everyone can do) at the bottom you can run these things as linear hierarchies (in "series" if you will) or in parallel - or a combination of both.

It's very flexible and actually very easy to manipulate - but first you have to forget your previous ideas and structures completely.

You should have ALL your members set up in a UserGroup with a base, common set of permissions.
Then each category of increased membership is placed in a secondary usergroup which has ONLY those extra permissions this group is entitled to.

My permissions are set up exactly like that, why assume they are not? Register, you get very few permissions, create a D&D character and you receive the normal set of permissions.

I wrote the add-on for those who use guilds. Guilds are not user group promotions. Each guild has their own set of forums only they can access, plus only the guild member can see who are members of their guild on the member list page. Each member can only be a member of one guild/order (with the exception of spies). If a member requests to start a new guild/order, the set-up becomes very quick by using my clone user group and clone node add-ons. Clone, apply minor changes specific to the new guild/order, save, done.

Top Bottom