XF 1.5 Copy/Clone Theme

Damien Alexander

I am a former IPB user. Over there we had a "copy" option in our themes area. Basically it would clone the theme and then you can do new edits to it without uploading a new one. So here's my question. In my new XenForo, I buy a theme, I edit it all completely to my liking, and it's colors are dark red pretty much with other edits. What if I want the same theme again, but instead change the color pallete to blue or green colors thus giving my users several theme options such as:

My theme: Red
My theme: Blue

etc.

How can I copy my already edited and existing theme to make this possible?

I am a former IPB user. Over there we had a "copy" option in our themes area. Basically it would clone the theme and then you can do new edits to it without uploading a new one. So here's my question. In my new XenForo, I buy a theme, I edit it all completely to my liking, and it's colors are dark red pretty much with other edits. What if I want the same theme again, but instead change the color pallete to blue or green colors thus giving my users several theme options such as:

My theme: Red
My theme: Blue

etc.

How can I copy my already edited and existing theme to make this possible?

You can use child styles, creating a child style of your current style will essentially "copy" it. Your setup could look like this:

• Third Party Style
    • Main Custom Style
      • Blue Custom Style

You make the bulk of the changes in your "Main Custom Style", then just change the color options inside the child Blue Custom Style. All edits you do will in the Main will trickle down to the child style (unless you've edited the option in the child such as the color palette).

Of course depending on what style you go with you could double check with the author to make sure it's a good way of doing it.

Top Bottom