1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Copy and paste removes font and colour formatting

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Martok, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

In TinyMCE when you copy and paste text from another source, it retains colour formatting. The current editor strips this out.

This post is an example:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/testing-copy-and-paste.51591/

and it taken from some of this post on the Playstation blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/05/29/heads-up-playstation-store-update-29th-may-2013/

The YouTube video isnt' copied across, though it didn't do so on TinyMCE so I expected that. You'll notice though that the titles Playstation Plus, PS3 games etc have lost both their font format and colouring.

I'm not sure if this is a but or as designed. I'm less worried about losing the font formatting but ideally I would like the colour formatting retained.

2. Creaky

Creaky Active Member

I think that's working as designed

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yup, this is as designed. Discussed in the HYS editor thread.

4. mauzao9

mauzao9 Well-Known Member

It was said it removes the formatting, most of it, if it isn't from other xenforo forum.

But still it still have a bit of the issue that TinyMCE had, paste something and when submit, the posted result is different than the one it did show in the editor. But it's better than it was. ^^

5. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Personally I am very happy that font and color formatting is stripped from the paste. I am not a fan when users get too creative with fonts and colors, in particular when it wasn't specifically intended (they can still manually apply font and color styling).

empire, AndyB and Alien like this.
  6. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

its about time!

AndyB likes this.
  7. mauzao9

mauzao9 Well-Known Member

The best of remove colour formatting is indeed for Dark Styles, that with the last editor we always needed to remove formatting to remove the black colored text in a already dark style.

AndyB and Alien like this.
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, this is intentional.

dieketzer likes this.
  9. Adrian D.

Adrian D. Member

Any way of turning this on for those using light styles and that actually need to keep colours during copy paste?