Implemented Copy a post.

Simon

I'm pretty sure I was able to do this is an earler beta release but running rc2 I cant seem to find the option.

I want to copy / move a users post into another thread.

Someone started a duplicate topic and I want to merge that post into the active topic thread but leave the original in the thread that they started. (I will close that thread)

Upvote 21
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks Mike, I must of been confusing myself with another site that I have (non Xenforo)

Back to my xenforo site.

Ok, so I select the post that I want to move, select the option move and then I am presented with the option to move post into a new thread.

I want to move the post into an exiting thread not a new one. How can I do this?

You can't currently move posts directly into another thread; it's a 2 step process of 'moving' them to a new thread and then merging the two threads.

Ahh, thanks I understand now.

Thanks Mike and Brogan for your help.
smile.png

I'd like the ability to copy threads and/or posts. It's not something we use every day, but it has come in handy when splitting off portions of threads to a new thread.

Would this be worth moving to "suggestions?"
I too would like the ability to copy posts. I just tried to do it now and worked out that it's not possible.

I had a case just a couple of days ago. I split a thread, but by moving the posts out, neither thread made sense on its own. The part I split looked out of context unless I split out more posts from the original thread, which left that part of the thread unresolved.

I don't use it much, but when I need it I really need it.

A nudge to the kindly staff here to bump this one over to Suggestions. ;)

A nudge to the kindly staff here to bump this one over to Suggestions. ;)
As the thread starter liked your post, I took that as an indication that they would be happy for it to be moved to suggestions, so I have done.

Hello there!

Firstly I apologise if this has been suggested before, I did search and got no results.

I would like to suggest the ability to split a single post into two or more, not just split it out from a thread, but the option of leaving a copy where it is.. and splitting it into another thread or a new thread, or perhaps even multiple threads.

Here is a good example...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/slidey-toggley-stuff-split-from-some-other-thread.16576/

The first part of Erik's post is on topic for the thread it was originally in.. however the second part isn't. As Kier kindly split the off topic posts out of the original thread.. this post has ended up in the new thread, where it is only half relevant... and poor Erik's on topic (to the original thread) posts are now moved.

I think the ability to cleverly split a single post would be very useful :)

I just discovered there is no ability to copy posts. I would like to see this added as a feature. As Rudy said, it's not used everyday, but it pops up on a consistent basis.

Bump.. being able to copy posts is damn useful when splitting threads and wanting to leave the original post in the first thread & have it as the first post in the new thread.

This has been requested by the staff on FreddysHouse.

We used the copy function on the old forum software to help run our photo competition, we asked for entries and could then duplicate the thread to the staff area, remove all the guff posts (the ones without photos), add a poll if desired and put it back to the user forums.

So if we could have a copy functionality added for posts and threads that would be great.

i have 'liked' the OP as a vote indication, i have had to split off threads to there own also. after 15 plus years of running my board, i really would be lost without that feature to control conversations in an orderly fashion

+1

I'd like to add some weight to this request. I've migrated a forum to Xenforo and just found out that there's no thread copy function. This is a function we used extensively on our previous platform so it would be great if it could be considered for inclusion in a later version.

Top Bottom