Lack of interest Conversion Framework

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Marc

Just had an idea, and bare in mind I have not thought it all through fully. Was wondering with all the conversations about converting xyz software over to xenforo of the possibility to create a conversion framework of some kind where people with a more technical knowledge can create importers quickly and therefore increasing the chances of people taking up the challenge.

My thoughts initially are basically having somewhere in the admincp possibly whilst the forum is in developer mode, where people can map from one set of tables over to the xenforo set of tables and save these sets of conversion maps. Steps something like as follows:-

1. Select authentication method from dropdown menu
  2. Based on the above ask for table locations for various items needed for this, for example where the MD5, salt etc is stored.
  3. Map columns and tables for categories and forums.
  4. Map columns and tables for Usergroups.
And so on and so on. Obviously there would be other things to bare in mind such as conditionals. For example mapping forum type x to forum type y for categories and type a to type b for forums etc etc.

I thought after going through the process, allow the usage of a test conversion to test the results for each section as the developer goes along. After all is complete allow the export of his conversion map to an xml format (or similar) that could then be shared with others. Let other users import xml maps into the conversion tools in xenforo.

So... You guys are the experts, what do you think? I realise this wouldnt be a small undertaking, but I think the benefits of it would be quite big for sales as it would allow converters to be created quickly and by the developing community.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
How importers work is better then any other software that I have used. It really isn't hard at all to make your own importer, all the heavy lifting is done for you. Nothing else is needed.

Although making it so you can test your importers easier would be nice. My importer is buggy and because of how time consuming testing it is, I am very slowly getting it done. I don't have the time to finish off certain features let along test every little thing that could happen. Nothing comes to mind on how it would be easier but if I think of something I'll make a new thread.

How importers work is better then any other software that I have used. It really isn't hard at all to make your own importer, all the heavy lifting is done for you. Nothing else is needed.

Although making it so you can test your importers easier would be nice. My importer is buggy and because of how time consuming testing it is, I am very slowly getting it done. I don't have the time to finish off certain features let along test every little thing that could happen. Nothing comes to mind on how it would be easier but if I think of something I'll make a new thread.

Oh I dont doubt its better than everyone elses. Ive not seen anything they have done so far thats not better than everyone elses LMAO. Just thinking of a way it could have a full user interface and kinda encouraging people to delve further into it.

Top Bottom