XF 2.1 Conversations are showing up in Google analytics

Mr Lucky

Nobody except the participants can see conversations, so how can it be that conversations are showing up in Google Analytics?

It means that Google can at least see the titles of conversations.

Now I know very little about GA, but I would imagine if you have the analytics code set up so it exists on every page on your site, that would include conversations. Especially if it's set up in the PAGE_CONTAINER template.

Now I know very little about GA, but I would imagine if you have the analytics code set up so it exists on every page on your site, that would include conversations. Especially if it's set up in the PAGE_CONTAINER template.

No it is not a template edit, it is just a filed in ACP Setup > Options> SEO

No it is not a template edit, it is just a filed in ACP Setup > Options> SEO
Yeah, that's the last thing loaded in the head section on the main PAGE_CONTAINER. So it would include conversations.
HTML:
    <xf:include template="google_analytics" />
</head>

But since conversations are a public facing page, that's to be expected according to the description of the option.
You may enter your Google Analytics web property ID here to have the Analytics HTML automatically added to your public-facing pages.

Last edited:
But since conversations are a public facing page, that's to be expected according to the description of the option.

Something is wrong with the implementation then, because Google should never have access to conversations, what is the point in your analytics showing conversations, whether it's just the conversation page or actual conversations?

Something is wrong with the implementation then, because Google should never have access to conversations, what is the point in your analytics showing conversations, whether it's just the conversation page or actual conversations?
While I'm not disagreeing with you, GA is used to tell you how users are using your site. So, I would think it's somewhat appropriate that the data is available there.

But I would think there should be some way to exclude content from GA.

They don't have access to them, only that they exist,

While I'm not disagreeing with you, GA is used to tell you how users are using your site. So, I would think it's somewhat appropriate that the data is available there.

But I would think there should be some way to exclude content from GA.

Presumably then that although these conversation titles are a necessary part of analytics, they are never going to be shown in Search Engine results?

Top Bottom