ControllerPublic or ViewPublic ?

Mikey

So, if I am coding an image hosting add on (just as an example (I am not coding an image host add on)), and i have /imghost as my route, set up for everything with a /ControllerPublic/Index.php

For the index I have an "actionIndex" function in my ControllerPublic.. This works fine as it returns a template to show off..

but then for example say I wanted to have /imghost/view/awesome.1/ (example again)

Would I set up an "actionView" function inside the ControllerPublic/Index.php file? Or would I use some other method such as a "ViewPublic" for example?

I'm just trying to figure out what the best layout to do something like that would be.. or more importantly: what is the right way to do this?

Well, I figured I'd try something like actionView($id). When I come to visit /bla/view/1 in the browser, it says that "The controller Bla_ControllerPublic_Index does not define an action called View1."

Well, I figured I'd try something like actionView($id). When I come to visit /bla/view/1 in the browser, it says that "The controller Bla_ControllerPublic_Index does not define an action called View1."

the action is always last.. so if your route is /bla and you add an action like actionView then it would be /bla/mikey.1/view

It is possible to do this, but you'll need to write your own route matching and link building methods to override the standard router, as the standard approach is /content-type/content/action, rather than /content-type/action/content.

In answer to your first question, you would create actionView() within your ControllerPublic - nothing you have described here belongs in a ViewPublic.

However, I would recommend a different approach to simply adding actionView(), as the URL it will produce is overly complex. Instead, I would create a second Route_Prefix such as 'xyz-images' and then have a separate ControllerPublic for that prefix, in which actionIndex() acts as your viewer, so that you end up with the simpler URL of /xyz-images/123. You can implement your actions for working with single images into the same controller, so you get /xyz-images/123/edit and /xyz-images/123/delete etc.

You can reserve your original route prefix for actions that do not deal with single existing images, such as listing categories or creating a new image.

Hmm. Okay well I tried with that way, simply adding a second route prefix& controllerpublic, but couldn't get far with it..

How would I go about having it the same way as say, the threads on xenforo. Where you have in the url, /threads/title.id (an example) - how is that done? I've tried to discern this via looking through /library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Thread.php alongside it's route and model, but can't seem to get it down to an exact science yet.. I do note that they use one ControllerPublic file with the actions defined inside there..

Anyway, if any light could be shed I would be extremely grateful :D

/threads/title.id is achieved by having the view action for threads be actionIndex() within the XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread controller, and the use of resolveActionWithIntegerParam() in the router.

Top Bottom