Not a bug Contact Us Form should not send email 'from' users address

md_5

What happens here, is when we use an email services such as Amazon SES, the mail will get denied as the user's email is not a verified domain/address.
Additionally sending emails from other domains could lead to the mail server being blacklisted.
In Misc.php I suggest the following code:
PHP:
            $mail->send(
                XenForo_Application::get('options')->contactEmailAddress, '', array(
                    'Sender' => XenForo_Application::get('options')->contactEmailAddress
                ),
                $user['email'], $user['username']
            );
Be changed to something like:
PHP:
            $mail->send(
                XenForo_Application::get('options')->contactEmailAddress, '', array(
                    'Sender' => XenForo_Application::get('options')->contactEmailAddress
                ),
                XenForo_Application::get('options')->contactEmailAddress, $user['username'] . '(' . $user['email'] . ')'
            );

Thanks!

This isn't a bug - the "Sender" header is the RFC standard for this. It indicates the technical sender while from indicates the person actually causing the email. I really don't know why SES refuses to check for the Sender header. (It's a long standing suggestion/bug on their site from what I've seen.)

This isn't a bug - the "Sender" header is the RFC standard for this. It indicates the technical sender while from indicates the person actually causing the email. I really don't know why SES refuses to check for the Sender header. (It's a long standing suggestion/bug on their site from what I've seen.)
Sorry for the late reply, I thought I had this thread watched. What about at least having an option to use the reply to header instead, like @hqarrse suggested?
I think having emails with the from header is a nicety that causes more issues than its worth. Additionally it cannot be solved by a core edit. What about adding an option to the mail tab to force an address for SMTP, similar to not using -f for sendmail?

Top Bottom