Consistency In The Urls

Brandon_R

The SEO friendly urls is a nice feature but i think it needs to be standardized ie some places separates words with dashes while others separates them with dots.

Having a nice tree of urls will greatly streamline the product like everything else :)

They are not split with dots, as far as I know. The "dot<number>" is the unique id of the thread, page, post, user, etc.

For example, user Floris.6 rewrites to Floris-6.<userid>

the .xx at the end of the thread title can be removed. At least that's what I think I saw Kier post the other day

I disagree, the shorter the url, the friendlier. "details" about the page, be they members or staff, or otherwise, are for the page content.

I want:

http://domain.com/forum/thread.php?id=12&user=bob&markread=1&digest=instant
not to show as
http://domain.com/forum/thread/12/bob/markread/digest/instant
but as
http://domain.com/forum/threads/hey-everybody.12/

This way the user getting the link knows it is a forum link, and actually one of the threads, with that title. (and .12 helps keep it unique in case of the same threads).

The PHP functionality shouldn't be disclosed, and details of content kept to the page itself.

That's my opinion though :p

I think it's the other way around. You can remove everything EXCEPT the .XXX and it will redirect you to the correct item.

I was going to say the same regarding short URL's, but you beat me to it. I would LOVE if there were a permalink like system for the forums, as I prefer to do my own structure, rather then use a default one or one with low customization.

They are not split with dots, as far as I know. The "dot<number>" is the unique id of the thread, page, post, user, etc.

For example, user Floris.6 rewrites to Floris-6.<userid>

There is an option to remove the ID, for forum titles only. I think is the easiest way to deal with ID's, instead of other methods (i.e. current date).

Nice but im also talking about non "id'ed" urls like the new posts etc

instead of find-new it should be something like

search/new/posts

others could possible be

members/online

to show the hierarchy of the urls and where it belongs.

Sorry, then I misread or misunderstand what you're trying to want ..

Nice but im also talking about non "id'ed" urls like the new posts etc

instead of find-new it should be something like

search/new/posts

others could possible be

members/online

to show the hierarchy of the urls and where it belongs.

I understand your logic. However, SEO url's were designed only for search engines, users really don't care how a link looks. I dare you to tell me how would be beneficial for Google to have search results queried and penalize you for cloaking links (same for members). :)

The only part about SEO that I like is the friendly URLs.
The users on my board very much care for getting a link they understand what to expect.

Yep, SEO URLS are no longer for search engines alone. It describes the webpage without the user actually visiting it.

Top Bottom