Considering XenForo, Have Questions

Kenneth Holland

I have a Wordpress Blog that is doing quite well and now I am going to add
either a message forum and or a 'social network'. I used to be a vbulletin
customer several years ago and went back to post what I'm posting below.

Shocked to find no one from VB will even answer my pre-sales questions.

Guess things have changed there.

I hope you guys and gals out there in this community (and WITH THE COMPANY) can help me out.

Here is a rough outline of what I want to do...can XenForo (either through the core or developers) accomplish
the following or be extended to:

1. Are there any social network plugins/mods (also see #4 below)? I know this is a bit vague but something
that can expand the core XF beyond what is is now? Maybe it's just a more elaborate groups feature?

2. Photos: Photos and videos will play a BIG part in my forum/sn. A place where members can create a
gallery and upolad photos/videos (as well as hi-res ones) plus watermarking and copywriting (like Flickr).
Also, does a mod exist for users to sell images?

3. Photos: Voting and sharing on images?

4. Can individual posts in threads by shared to Facebook and Twitter? I'm surprised no one is doing this!

5. Does XF have a built in cache or is there a mod for this?

6. Awards and/or gameification: Are there any mods in this area?

7. Is Facebook and Twitter login available? Mod??

8. XF integration with Wordpress: Is there any level of integration by chance with WP or an add-on/mod?

9. I've heard that XF does not have a mobile application yet. Anyone know when that will be out OR
is there a developer that can build one for me?

10. Can XF be configured to work with a CDN network? I currently use MaxCDN for my blog.

11. Are there third party themes available?

That's basically it for now...and I thank all of you for taking the time to read this and to the ones who
respond...it's much appreciated.

Ken

Anyone have more recommendations for an image mod besides simple gallery? I will need something more robust with commenting, rating, etc...

Ken

I use this one: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfr-user-albums.54/

Not sure it'll do everything you want, but does allow commenting for sure and integrates with xF "Likes" system. I don't think it's really supported anymore either, but it might be something worth starting from and works great (ohh, and it's free).

XFR-albums isn't being actively developed, and free addon makers shouldn't be forced to provide 24/7 tech support and requests. I'd say if there was a major bug in xfr-albums, let's say with 1.2 release, I suspect the addon would be updated, especially since the author uses his addon.

XFR-albums isn't being actively developed, and free addon makers shouldn't be forced to provide 24/7 tech support and requests. I'd say if there was a major bug in xfr-albums, let's say with 1.2 release, I suspect the addon would be updated, especially since the author uses his addon.

Thanks Digital. I agree if it's free you get what you get. Do you (or anyone else?) know if there are other mods like this that are paid and have more features by chance? Or can you recommend someone that could build something for me?

Ken

Use a Wordpress gallery is my suggestion.
Use Xenforo for the forums and Wordpress for everything else.
With the exception of a Xenforo wiki if all works out. I've seen one being developed and it's pretty exciting stuff.

Use a Wordpress gallery is my suggestion.
Use Xenforo for the forums and Wordpress for everything else.
With the exception of a Xenforo wiki if all works out. I've seen one being developed and it's pretty exciting stuff.

Digital,

Question 1: So if I use a Wordpress Gallery, I would have users log in through Wordpress so they can upload their pics etc?

Question 2: If I use a Wordpress/XF bridge, does that give the users a single login?

Question 3: 'With the exception of a Xenforo Wiki....' what does this mean? You lost me here.

Thanks. :)

Ken

Question 1: So if I use a Wordpress Gallery, I would have users log in through Wordpress so they can upload their pics etc?
The bridge logs you into both Xenforo and Wordpress.

Question 2: If I use a Wordpress/XF bridge, does that give the users a single login?
Yes, go to xenscripts.com to get more details.
Ask your questions in the forums. In the current bridge, new users are created in Xenforo and the Wordpress login (cookies, etc) is generated from the Xenforo login. xenscripts.com for details.

Question 3: 'With the exception of a Xenforo Wiki....' what does this mean? You lost me here.
My round about point would be that you should stick with Wordpress addons ... as you are already heavily invested in Wordpress.

Off topic, but which one?
Hi Brentnauer:
It's a great one !

Why do you want one ? If so ...
I've been keeping track of the "Wiki people" here ...
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-native-wiki.1636/
Can you post a bit of information about what you might use a wiki for .... and why you might want one ?
That would help me. Let me ask the developers a bit more about their plans, timeframes, etc. I don't feel comfortable putting too much pressure on them until I know a bit more about their plans.

Top Bottom