XF 1.4 Confirmation mail not sending

DaveM

I am getting reports from some new registration that they not getting their confirmation mail from the forum, any suggestion on how I can fault this at all?

I am getting reports from some new registration that they not getting their confirmation mail from the forum, any suggestion on how I can fault this at all?
When you check my sites at one of the major blacklist checkers, I'm perfectly clean in the. I just had a new user sign up recently and he never got the email confirmation.
Upon checking my MTA logs I found
Code:
Dec 20 19:01:56 alpha postfix/smtp[11884]: 3A860400BEF: to=<removed@murgie.com>, relay=rx.citynet.net[66.118.64.207]:25, delay=5.9, delays=0.08/0.01/0.56/5.2, dsn=5.7.1, status=bounced (host rx.citynet.net[66.118.64.207] said: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [204.44.114.13] blocked using citynet.dnsbl; QuadraNet, Inc 2014-11-12 16:54:28 (in reply to RCPT TO command))
If you notice, they are using a citynet.dnsbl list - and it has some checks in it from blacklists that have been down since 2007. I've sent them an email and still haven't gotten a response.
This is a custom hosted email for him, and apparently they aren't the "swiftest" runners in the bunch when it comes to keeping their RBL's updated with valid info. I don't know if it's one that they have compiled and maintained or if they pull in information from elsewhere - but no matter, their list blocked my perfectly good IP (which also does DKIM and SPF in a valid format and is accepted by Gmail & Hotmail with a hiccup).

Using IPs of former spammers is never a good idea. Ask your host to get another address or even change your host.
If you are talking to me @HWS, my entire CIDR is clear in all the major ones. The only place I can even find it is in ones like blacklist.spambag.org (down 05/27/2007), dul.maps.vix.com (apparently down 01/2007), fl.chickenboner.biz (chickenboner.biz redirects to avcomand.com), okrelays.nthelp.com (a windows site with the last update in 06/2013), rbl.maps.vix.com (again, another dead one about the same time as dul.maps.vix.com), relays.nthelp.com (again, same site as okrelays.nthelp.com - guess it's down because it's windows site ;)), spamsources.dnsbl.info (when I go to dnsbl.info it checks clear), and finally will-spam-for-food.eu.org.
The problem is to many are using BS lists that are not maintained - or are not keeping up with what they are using.

Using the mxtoolbox site, your Good Old days shows to be listed on FABELSOURCES. You can request a removal by going here.
Triumphtalk is listed on SPAMCANNIBAL.
Reason for listing - blocked, See: http://www.spamcannibal.org/cannibal.cgi?page=lookup&lookup=69.64.46.47
This is one reason I don't use Spamcannibal. It provides too many false positives based on the netblock for an IP address, which is what is the case here. And the only way to get it resolved is by changing server DNS ptr record to a non-generic name which is not always possible.

I argued this point with them 3 or 4 years ago and noted the resolution process/false positives in the Comparison of DNS Blacklists on Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DNS_blacklists

Last edited:
If it is only some users then that would suggest an issue with the mails being spam trapped or possibly blacklisting involved.

Well I have only just opened up the site and have had two members report it so far. It really seems that this blacklisting story is catching sites it should not :(

Well I have only just opened up the site and have had two members report it so far. It really seems that this blacklisting story is catching sites it should not :(
Not really... if you recently got the IP, then the person before you may have been running a spammer site from it. If so, then it gets onto the blacklists. Then what typically happens is that spammer will drop the account and go elsewhere, having already pranged that IP and it then being somebody elses responsibility to clean up - because they don't care.
My server is with QuadraNet. They have a problem that some of their IP's are spammy. Some places totally block the entire QuadraNet set of IP's.

Top Bottom