XF 1.4 Confirmation emails not being received

sgr

Hi,

About 15% of the confirmation emails sent in the past 20 days have not been received by the users trying to sign up on my forum. The others receive them just fine.

Why is this happening, any idea?

In the Email Options, the 'email transport method' is default, and the 'set return path' was unchecked. I've checked that now. I can understand there are problems with the email configuration if no emails were being sent, but what's the reason behind it partially working?

Have you really confirmed with all of these users that the emails aren't being received at all and that they aren't actually in the spam folder. There are users who aren't very savvy when it comes to emails and don't have a clue about the spam folder in their email client.

Have you really confirmed with all of these users that the emails aren't being received at all and that they aren't actually in the spam folder. There are users who aren't very savvy when it comes to emails and don't have a clue about the spam folder in their email client.

Yes I've confirmed.

The only way to confirm whether the emails were sent or not is by checking the mail server log.

On checking the logs, I found that many email providers (Gmail, Hotmail, Earthlink etc.) are blocking my IP when the confirmation email is sent. My web host thinks the subject line of it might look like spam -- it's too long.

How can I change the subject of the confirmation email from the default one? Is there an option for that in the ACP?

What is an example of one of the email subject lines?

There is an option in the Email settings to use a default sender name, instead of the board URL.

Some of the emails sent are actually successful, while some get blocked..

Any thoughts on what I should do next? I will be filling in the forms on various email providers' websites to whitelist me, but I want to know why I'm getting blocked in the first place. My web host sounds pretty sure that it is the confirmation email and its subject line. Some of them go through, some get blocked..

Last edited:
Definitely recommend making sure all your emails are signed with DKIM and use SPF.

I had exact same issue and since switching to postfix and implementing SPF, DKIM and DMARC I've had zero issues. I can even mail 50k users a newsletter and feel safe these make the inbox. It is definitly worth authenticating your emails.

Definitely recommend making sure all your emails are signed with DKIM and use SPF.

I had exact same issue and since switching to postfix and implementing SPF, DKIM and DMARC I've had zero issues. I can even mail 50k users a newsletter and feel safe these make the inbox. It is definitly worth authenticating your emails.

Yep. That's what Google also recommends. I'll be doing this..

Good to know it's working well for you :)

Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom