"Confirm when redirected?" checkbox for every style

Vincent

Hello,

I have recently installed the XFStop style, and I wanna make it so when you visit my website with a mobile device, it automatically redirects to http://www.hlxbans.net/mobile/.

Now, the problem is that when I go to http://www.hlxbans.net/mobile/, that this appears:
agree.webp

Now, as a user I don't want to click that every time I join a forum with a mobile phone.

So I'd suggest you add a checkbox with "Confirm style when redirected" for every style, so the mobile styles can be visited without problems.

Upvote 0
This is really an issue with that redirect trying to do something that shouldn't generally be done without confirmation - arguably for everyone, but it's rather important for registered users. That confirmation will change the style associated with the user; it's not strictly tied to the session.

I've only just made a change to allow this just now (so in the next release), but a better approach may be to set the correct cookie directly and then redirect. That will apply only to the current browsing session then. This would require some custom PHP though.

This is really an issue with that redirect trying to do something that shouldn't generally be done without confirmation - arguably for everyone, but it's rather important for registered users. That confirmation will change the style associated with the user; it's not strictly tied to the session.

I've only just made a change to allow this just now (so in the next release), but a better approach may be to set the correct cookie directly and then redirect. That will apply only to the current browsing session then. This would require some custom PHP though.

Cool? So I'll be able to have a working mobile skin in beta 6/RC 1? :)

This style inheriting to the user and not the session / computer is an issue, because users using a mobile style don't want to be seeing that style when changing from their mobile back to their desktop, and that is what happens presently. That is just nasty for the user... when I view the forum on my mobile, I want it to use the same style I selected next time I view it on my mobile, but I don't want to see that mobile style when I login through my desktop, which presently happens.

I think this really needs to be done better IMHO.

I tried looking at this option: http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/ which sounds pretty reasonable that IMHO needs to be built-in to XF, so the admin only need enter the style / mark a style specifically as a mobile browser style, so then it associates automatically when the user logs in using a major mobile browser, but not when logged in via desktop.

This style inheriting to the user and not the session / computer is an issue, because users using a mobile style don't want to be seeing that style when changing from their mobile back to their desktop, and that is what happens presently. That is just nasty for the user... when I view the forum on my mobile, I want it to use the same style I selected next time I view it on my mobile, but I don't want to see that mobile style when I login through my desktop, which presently happens.

I think this really needs to be done better IMHO.

I tried looking at this option: http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/ which sounds pretty reasonable that IMHO needs to be built-in to XF, so the admin only need enter the style / mark a style specifically as a mobile browser style, so then it associates automatically when the user logs in using a major mobile browser, but not when logged in via desktop.

I am definitely a fan. Already had my users ask about this functionality. They aren't computer savvy, they just want to know why it doesnt work like how it does on Facebook.

Totally agree.

Top Bottom