Style Community Theme - Should I do it?

Kim

Hi all,

I have had this concept kicking around my HDD for a number of years now, trying to decide if I should go ahead and create it as a free theme for XF.

So the question is... would you use it?

concept.webp

Reactions: Dan
I can't see the image, Kim, sorry :(

I don't think you allow guests to view attachments at your site.

Reactions: Kim
Hey Kim, It sounds really great that you want to contribute something to xenforo community for free but in my opinion this does not seems like any good. This can be a good design a few years ago maybe when you maid it, but at this time this seems like a very old concept that i would not like to use at all.

These are just my views and its upto you if you take it or pass it. :)

I think any theme your thinking of doing it will get the "hell yeah, just do it". The theme may be one of your old designs but you can easily make minor touches, introduce css where need to give it an up-to-date feel if you feel it's dated. TBH, and just my opinion, but judging from the screenshot I don't see anything dated in the design so I would go with... will like to see more of this as it evolves kim. I'm sure like your other styles, it'll be top notch quality and many users will flock to use it. :)

Hey Kim, It sounds really great that you want to contribute something to xenforo community for free but in my opinion this does not seems like any good. This can be a good design a few years ago maybe when you maid it, but at this time this seems like a very old concept that i would not like to use at all.

OK, I'm curious... from the image that was posted, what, in your view, makes it outdated?

It is an old concept. It's something she had lying around and was willing to give to the community for free.

I'm really sorry - I forgot to reply to this :oops:

Kim, I think you should go for this.

Like Shelley said, you can gauge as you're going along what needs to be done to modernise it (if indeed it needs modifying) so yeah, could be a great style.

You know, the simpler a theme is, the harder it is to pull off. I had begun this after posting above, and it is not an easy design to do at all. I have run into a number of problems that are going to take some coding around, and some real creativity to overcome, sometimes when this happens, it is a challenge to me and I will really go for it just to overcome that and prove I can do it.

But... Given the lack of interest in the theme, that some perceive it as dated, and that it is going to be a lot of work to do when I don't have a lot of time, and do have a lot of other work/assignments college work etc.

I probably won't bother, thanks to those who responded, your feedback has helped to make the decision much easier.

:)

community_wip.webp

Sorry for the fuzzy Work In Progress screenshot, it has been borked by the XF.com size limits.

You know, the simpler a theme is, the harder it is to pull off. I had begun this after posting above, and it is not an easy design to do at all. I have run into a number of problems that are going to take some coding around, and some real creativity to overcome, sometimes when this happens, it is a challenge to me and I will really go for it just to overcome that and prove I can do it.

But... Given the lack of interest in the theme, that some perceive it as dated, and that it is going to be a lot of work to do when I don't have a lot of time, and do have a lot of other work/assignments college work etc.

I probably won't bother, thanks to those who responded, your feedback has helped to make the decision much easier.

:)

View attachment 40607

Sorry for the fuzzy screenshot, it has been borked by the XF.com size limits.

I thought the theme looked great (from what I seen) not dated at all. Shame that your not following up with it now.

I thought the theme looked great (from what I seen) not dated at all. Shame that your not following up with it now.

Thanks Shelley.

If I can be arsed I might do it down the line, just to prove to myself I can do something so simple.

Right now I am a bit grumpy to be doing anything for an unappreciative audience. I have had a lot of requests for free stuff lately, gets a bit draining... I KNOW you know what I mean, you get 100x more requests for free stuff than I do ;)

Thanks Shelley.

If I can be arsed I might do it down the line, just to prove to myself I can do something so simple.

Right now I am a bit grumpy to be doing anything for an unappreciative audience. I have had a lot of requests for free stuff lately, gets a bit draining... I KNOW you know what I mean, you get 100x more requests for free stuff than I do ;)
Let me know if you want help figuring something out :p.

Top Bottom