Lack of interest Commenting of Profile Posts field

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

eberkund

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this but many of my members have been posting a new profile post to a user's profile instead of using the comment feature. I believe this is because the comment link is not very visible. I would like to suggest having the comment form displayed by default without clicking the comment link, similar to how Facebook does it.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well I agree that is looks slightly worse, but Facebook seems to manage alright doing it and I don't know an easier way to have users stop posting new profile posts instead of replies. Clearly some improvement needs to be done here.

Maybe it is just a matter of changing the styling as well.

We would love to see a number of comments visible. Then people know to click in & that there are comments there. Otherwise you are just having to click in to each one to check if someone might have commented. Do I need to make a suggestion or will this count :)

Only being a member of xenFore for a week I am one of those newbies that did NOT even notice the comment link to the right. ( stupid me) I have been clicking the photo of the poster and leaving comments on the profile page. Now I know! Thanks for the 411!

Only being a member of xenFore for a week I am one of those newbies that did NOT even notice the comment link to the right. ( stupid me) I have been clicking the photo of the poster and leaving comments on the profile page. Now I know! Thanks for the 411!
Yeah, that's what my members have been doing. At the very least I'd like an option to be able to merge profile posts into comments on an existing profile post.

Please like the first post if you think that this is an issue that could use some attention.

Please like the first post if you think that this is an issue that could use some attention.

I thought it could probably use some attention earlier on myself (see this suggestion, but please do disregard the large exaggerated Facebook example there :oops:: it simply does not apply), but looking back on that suggestion (to have the comment-field always visible, like Facebook does it) now 4 years later, I think Brogan's point:

IMO, that would look terrible on a page full of profile posts.

... is more important than the 'issue' at hand. I just opened up a profile of someone and that of my own and started to click on 'Comment' on every profile posting on the screen to see how it looks with all empty comment-fields open. And it does look indeed terrible.

I really like the clean/simple outlook of the XF profile screen and what looks/works good on Facebook does not have to look/work good on Xenforo obviously.

Although I do like the fact that Facebook's implementation stimulates the social interaction. But that's the whole point I think... Facebook's main social interactions/discussions are taking place in the comments of a post/status update (so it needs to be stimulated there), whereas Xenforo's main social interactions are taking place in the forum-threads. Hence, why Xenforo does display a visible avatar of yourself and an open reply field right there, just like Facebook does it in their comments-system. This, the difference in how these platforms operate, is something I did not take into account when I posted my earlier suggestion.

I think it's (near) perfect the way it is now actually how XF implemented it all.

(Also, already suggested recently overhere: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...posts-on-new-profile-posts-page-is-odd.81849/)

Last edited:
Top Bottom