Lack of interest Comment counter in profile.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's limited to 420 characters.

XenForo_DataWriter_ProfilePostComment

Code:
protected function _preSave()
{
if ($this->isChanged('message'))
{
$maxLength = 420;
if (utf8_strlen($this->get('message')) > $maxLength)
{
$this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('please_enter_message_with_no_more_than_x_characters', array('count' => $maxLength)), 'message');
}
}
}
Am I mistaken in thinking that removing that code would also remove the limit?

Actually, there's not a character restriction on the replies (I just tested it with a 500 character reply to a profile post).

I wouldn't have noticed the restriction had I not had to include a link to a thread which takes up the majority of the comment so I had to copy and paste the rest of the comment into a second comment. The indicator just serves for occasions like that which I'm sure are rare but they do happen and to give some indication your about to reach the character limit.

Suggestion: When you create a profile post you have a character counter telling you how many letters you have left. Though replying, and commenting on profile comments since their is a character restriction doesn't have a counter, I think it would be beneficial to somehow include that into comments also.

Not sure whether this has been suggested.

View attachment 39226
I just threw together a small jQuery that should work. Might not be the best way to go about it, but it works. If you want to play around with it, here it is: http://jsfiddle.net/rMzbK/

You basically have to add in the javascript somewhere on the profile template, and add in the the paragraph.

Top Bottom