Lack of interest Comment counter in profile.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I hadn't realised there was a post amount restriction when commenting. If the comment count option is added i think it should be left of the comment button just like the post count digit resides on the left hand side of the post button in profiles. Then there's the argument, what are the chances of any person posting above the character limit? very rarely imo because then if they have that amount to say they would bring it to the person in private via the PC system.

Is that error message your getting from creating a profile post or comment to a profile post?

This is what you see if you post a message on a profile that's too long, it would be useful if the error message also provided the current actual character count.
Absolutely! ALSO in Beta 3 not only does it not warn you, IT DELETES THE MESSAGE YOU'VE COMPOSED WITHOUT A MEANS OF RECOVERY (that I was able to determine, anyway).

Definitely NOT up to XF standards! Gave me the Beta Blues!

Then there's the argument, what are the chances of any person posting above the character limit? very rarely imo

Sorry Shelley, I disagree with you 180 degrees on this one. I've been burned numerous times on this and am very disappointed it hasn't been remedied yet.
With the latest release it also wipes out the entire post I made with no warning whatsoever until it was too late to do anything about it. Sux. Not up to XenForo standards of excellence.
User hostile rather than user friendly.

Sorry Shelley, I disagree with you 180 degrees on this one. I've been burned numerous times on this and am very disappointed it hasn't been remedied yet.
With the latest release it also wipes out the entire post I made with no warning whatsoever until it was too late to do anything about it. Sux. Not up to XenForo standards of excellence.
User hostile rather than user friendly.

If people post above the character limit and it wipes the entire post without warning then that isn't a good thing. I should have replied back saying so as i did like CK suggestion afterwards after thinking more about it.

I suppose when i initially made the post above I looked at it being that i personally never posted over the 420 limit. That's not to say other people stay within that limit.

That's not to say other people stay within that limit.
Thanks for your update, Shelley :)
It's a feature that's a cool one but feels half-baked at this point, and not up to XF's typical standards of excellence. I hope somebody steps to it and fixes it because that feature would get a lot more use from me, and very possibly by others.

I find it to be very convenient IF it worked properly. At this time, it does not.

The latest incarnation of this is worse now then, I haven't checked this on the Beta release. I think I've got Beta 1 installed on my test forum.

This bug and the 'working as designed' clicking on a read thread issue are rather annoying, hopefully both will get addressed.

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to INCREASE this limitation? My users consistently exceed the 420 limit but usually only by 50-100 characters... a small increase would be great.

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to INCREASE this limitation? My users consistently exceed the 420 limit but usually only by 50-100 characters... a small increase would be great.
Nothing like blowing off some steam to quickly burn past the 420 limit. :-)

If you really have to right now, I suppose you could go to...
/library/XenForo/DataWriter/ProfilePostComment.php
and find
PHP:
    protected function _preSave()
    {
        if ($this->isChanged('message'))
        {
            $maxLength = 420;
            if (utf8_strlen($this->get('message')) > $maxLength)
            {
                $this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('please_enter_message_with_no_more_than_x_characters', array('count' => $maxLength)), 'message');
            }
        }
    }

and edit the $maxLength = to be a higher number so it looks more like this...

PHP:
    {
        {
            $maxLength = 540;
            {
                $this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('please_enter_message_with_no_more_than_x_characters', array('count' => $maxLength)), 'message');
            }
        }
    }

Just a guess that this will work for you but if I am wrong someone correct me please...and always download a copy of the file you are editing to your desktop before you edit it so that in the event that you mess something up you can just keep overwriting bloopers with a clean copy via ftp. Happy hunting.

Suggestion: When you create a profile post you have a character counter telling you how many letters you have left. Though replying, and commenting on profile comments since their is a character restriction doesn't have a counter, I think it would be beneficial to somehow include that into comments also.

Not sure whether this has been suggested.

comment-counter.webp

Not sure about that one though, because I tried replying before with a mini novel, and it was restricted. I had to guess if I cut enough out, then retry, then had to cut more again and retry, after waiting on the stupid time limit lol. Grr.. Lol!

It's limited to 420 characters.

XenForo_DataWriter_ProfilePostComment

Code:
	{
		{
			$maxLength = 420;
			{
			}
		}
	}

Ah right, it's 420.. See, I keep forgetting that, hence Shelley's suggestion, which would be nice. It's a visual reminder of how many you have left. Lol!

While doing this it would also be nice if the javascript were written to be reusable. I remember last time I wanted to use the remaining character counter for use in my own addons I noticed it was specifically for the status update only (you could reuse it I think, but it just gets ugly), so I had to create my own.

Top Bottom