Combating Like abuse

I think as long as the moderators and/or admins have the ability to view in a log likes being given/received they'll be able to notice anything out of the ordinary. I wouldn't want to limit likes being given/received solely based off a couple folks trying to abuse the system.

It's an issue if people join your forum with the sole intention to abuse it for spamming traffic reasons. And the Web is awash with it happening already, and them always looking for new ways to take advantages of forum features that are open for abuse. Don't fool yourself!

If promotions would be based upon likes, even if partially, then you would certainly see a high abuse of likes. Similar to what happens if your promotion system is based upon reputation, like mine is. People will register multiple accounts and send like between these to boost their member status.

I had a reputation trade discovery system coded to discover this. It would also make sense to implement some limitations to how often one can like posts of the same member.

I can only really see this being an issue on sites with a lot of immature members, the like system is much better than any other I have seen, I haven't seen any obvious abuse of the system here, and I think it will work really well on most boards inhabited by mature adults... if it becomes an issue I am sure a sensible admin can find a work around such as has already been suggested, create a new group that can't use the system and bung offenders in there... or just caution them privately that they are abusing... it comes down to good adminship imho :)

The rep system was abused by a few very immature members on IPS when it was first introduced, and continues to be, but as I said it comes down to good adminship, if you don't address the issue, then it is your issue, not the system or the abusers.

Well there could be options made for 'like'.... some thing like a tag or a prefix system with different options when you hover over the like button that displays a general selection of reasons why you liked the post and have an option for misc. that when used is a personal 'like' that has nothing to do with useful content and doesn't add to the 'likes' they've received when it comes to rankings .... if users abuse this it will be way easier to catch on if people are trying to circumvent the whole point of the system by miss-entering 'likes'

EQnoble:Content Eriksrocks:Relevant-Post

Well there could be options made for 'like'.... some thing like a tag or a prefix system with different options when you hover over the like button that displays a general selection of reasons why you liked the post and have an option for misc. that when used is a personal 'like' that has nothing to do with useful content and doesn't add to the 'likes' they've received when it comes to rankings .... if users abuse this it will be way easier to catch on if people are trying to circumvent the whole point of the system by miss-entering 'likes'

eww no, I don't like that idea at all myself.

We shouldn't have to justify our amusement, or entertainment, or appreciation or whatever motivated us to click that Like button in the first place :)

well i guess it all depends on what someone would use the like system for i guess... so this is a never ending debate :-)

EQnoble:Content Eriksrocks:Relevant-Post
I would say KISS. :) The beauty of the like is that it is simple and easily understood. :)

HA! true but i was posing my standpoint from a view that the like button was being used here as a way to gauge people's input on needs and wants for the software... maybe i misinterpreted it. Point is if it's not supposed to be anything other than a popularity contest so be it I thought i was doing something wrong when i click likes for comedic value only. :-)

I'd like to know if and what backend admin tools we will have with dealing with like abuse.
The thanks mod on vb.org has options to delete all thanks a user gave.
If we had similiar tools it would allow admins to deal with the like abuse when it occurs.

This is what I would propose:
An admin log, where you can see the last 'x' likes that have been recieved/given. This will allow an admin to easily see if one user has been given tons of likes over and over by the same member. The admin could then moderate from that page too. Check the ones you want to remove, and then click remove. There could also be an option to select all from a given user and then remove those.
Another option to search for a specific users likes and then be able to remove them from that page would be good to.
Another option to ban an individual user from using the system would be good to.

Of course this might be seen as bloat to some, so maybe this could be made as a modification by XF or someone?

If I understand correctly, the Like feature is to acknowledge a member likes a particular post. If that's the case, why not have a Like counter for each post. For example if you like this post you would click Like link and just below it would show how many other members likes the post.

If I understand correctly, the Like feature is to acknowledge a member likes a particular post. If that's the case, why not have a Like counter for each post. For example if you like this post you would click Like link and just below it would show how many other members likes the post.
This is about abuse of the like feature.

This is about abuse of the like feature.

If I understand correctly, currently the only way to see how many Likes a member has is to view their membercard or profile. So what if the Likes were not shown at these two locations and instead were only shown on the post which was liked. That would prevent Like abuse, but would still show which posts members like.

If I understand correctly, currently the only way to see how many Likes a member has is to view their membercard or profile. So what if the Likes were not shown at these two locations and instead were only shown on the post which was liked. That would prevent Like abuse, but would still show which posts members like.

A "Users Like" section with arrangable list , is this what your suggesting AndyB? If so I'm all for it.

A "Users Like" section with arrangable list , is this what your suggesting AndyB? If so I'm all for it.

I'm thinking that each post would have a counter that indicates how many members Liked the post. Perhaps if you click on the Like counter (this is just a number) it could show who actually Liked the post. Great idea EQnoble.

AHHH I get what your saying now...hey combine the two and i think all concerns about who's liking what, when and where is all covered... -COMBO-x2- lol

Top Bottom