Color Palette Name Terms

Amaury

I've always been curious about this: Where did the color palette get its names from, such as secondary darker, and what do they mean?

Primary - main
Secondary - err, secondary

The other terms are fairly self explanatory: dark, darker, light, lighter, etc.

Primary - main
Secondary - err, secondary

The other terms are fairly self explanatory: dark, darker, light, lighter, etc.

Regarding primary and secondary, the way I'm reading that is basically like first place and second place, right? If so, then what exactly is considered primary and secondary?

Regarding the dark, darker, light, lighter, I didn't know they were literally what they were called. Light being a dark light with lightest being really light. So it seems my styles don't match up with them, haha!

The ones that really confuse me are the text ones, except text control text and faint text:
  • Content text
  • Dimmed text
  • Muted text

Text control text has to do put with input fields (although I've seen it be the controlling style property for buttons) and faint I know means light, but those are really the only ones I have an idea on.

Then other ones I still don't get are:
  • Primary lightish
  • Primary lighter still

The mediums seem to be between dark and light, and I know what "ish" means, so based on that, I guess primary lightish may be light, but not exactly light? However, I really don't understand primary lighter still, specifically the "still" part.

All of this has been based on the default style.

Thanks for responding, Paul!

Top Bottom