Coders? Mods?

Shanj

How do we find coders to do mods for XF?

I know some mention doing things here and there. But I think it would help to have a separate forum for them. There's a lot of interest/ demand already built up :)

Once it's released next week and coders get ahold of the code and see what they can do, I'm sure you'll be able to find one.

Well yes I could go searching through loads of forums and threads - there's bits and pieces all over the place to do with coding and mods.
But it would be so much easier if coding/ mods had it own forum.

The interest in mods is intense. It would be anyway with a new product, new community. But with XF having a strict policy for the time being to focus tightly on core, not add-ons (at least for a while, that swings the attention to mods.

There is already a lot of people wanting mods and quite a few interested in coding them.
That could be brushed aside as later later, after the beta is made available.

I think that would be a mistake.
There's going to be a LOT of busyness here around how to use XP core, installation and admincp options alone. Next week this forum is going to EXPLODE.
To have a flood of mod discussion woven in indiscriminately will be very messy.
Yet by Monday the heat for the devs is going to be acute around the beta.
Popping a forum up NOW to categorise mods stuff will tidy us up and keep the different areas of the community from treading on each others' toes as the beta goes live.

I can see dutchbb's point, but really I think we tend to look at mods in terms of what they DO at least as much as what they cost. A small price tag, or free, is hardly a consideration compared to what I want and what I don't.
Possibly some sort of search set like Free/ Modest/ Higher on price would do it for anyone who has a definite budget in mind.

But for forums I'd suggest Big Mods (cms, gallery, blog, admincp customisation)
and a Tweaks forum,
as well as Designers for template edits and themes.

Right away. If not those then other categories. But let's get mod talk extracted from the mass of core talk to help the big event on Tuesday and through next week go smoothly..

You may be right Brogan. If so it would be better to have it clearly stated rather than mysterious hinjts :). I can't see any reason for keeping it under wraps if a mods forum is due, and indeed WHEN.
Well we know when it will be.

Most like after beta is released next week but could possibly after gold is released.

Well we know when it will be.

Most like after beta is released next week but could possibly after gold is released.

Exactly Doctor - that's a big vagueness. It'll be getting messy next week if mod talk isn't segregated.
I would sincerely hope that mod forums aren't held back until gold - ghastly thought! :( I do trust KMA a lot but it's so much better to have clear info so we know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

I think the xf team is clever enough to see why a separate mod forum is necessary. You should give them more credit :). I think it's a step that's logical enough that they don't have to announce any plans or time lines until the product is actually released.

There's no sense in having one now as it would just be clutter since not many people have seen the source yet.

Exactly Doctor - that's a big vagueness. It'll be getting messy next week if mod talk isn't segregated.
I would sincerely hope that mod forums aren't held back until gold - ghastly thought! :( I do trust KMA a lot but it's so much better to have clear info so we know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

After gold isn't a ghastly thought really.

The software is beta and of course like most I will be playing around with it to get things how I want for my forums, I'm not sure if I would release anything but if I did it wouldn't be while the software is beta. It would be a bit awkward to offer support for a mod that runs on unsupported software. If that makes sense.

Of course I can only speak for myself, other people probably will release mods during the beta, I'm just saying that having a mod section appear after gold is neither a ghastly thought or that much of a problem either.

I think the xf team is clever enough to see why a separate mod forum is necessary. You should give them more credit :). I think it's a step that's logical enough that they don't have to announce any plans or time lines until the product is actually released.

There's no sense in having one now as it would just be clutter since not many people have seen the source yet.
You know, I suspect they have forums already set up, waiting in the wings for Beta Day for things like that....and will move the threads there when it's appropriate. I know I would and they've been at it much longer than I have been. Just my opinion but that is what I would do.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear though I did say I trust KMA (the devs). Their track is impeccable.
So of course they will b e aware that a mod fiorum is needed. They may have it all ready set up to activate.

However that doesn't help ME know when to plan/ diary my time to attend to mods needed for my boards. Services provided with little or no warning can find the most active users (who are likely to want multiples forums) in a busy patch and unable to find time to use what's offered.
If we know that the mods forum is arriving together with the beta, or a week later or whatever then we can make decisions about OUR work and time to fit round that.

We have no idea when gold will arrive and it could be some months away. I know some coders are planning to have mods out quite fast on the beta. So holding support services for mods back until gold is not a runner.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear though I did say I trust KMA (the devs). Their track is impeccable.
So of course they will b e aware that a mod fiorum is needed. They may have it all ready set up to activate.

However that doesn't help ME know when to plan/ diary my time to attend to mods needed for my boards. Services provided with little or no warning can find the most active users (who are likely to want multiples forums) in a busy patch and unable to find time to use what's offered.
If we know that the mods forum is arriving together with the beta, or a week later or whatever then we can make decisions about OUR work and time to fit round that.

We have no idea when gold will arrive and it could be some months away. I know some coders are planning to have mods out quite fast on the beta. So holding support services for mods back until gold is not a runner.
The BETA isn't released yet, developers haven't seen the framework, much of the plugin system, haven't familiarized themselves with the template syntax, nor have they learned exactly the scope of what they can do yet.

Even if there currently was a mod forum, every response you are likely to get is tentative, because all of the coders and developers are going to be interested in learning the platform, looking into developing their -own- products and forums, and then finally taking on work for other people.

As many people have said, to think that an actual forum structure for the launch of XF will probably be shown about the same time as the BETA release, or soon after. Anytime sooner wouldn't make sense.

However that doesn't help ME know when to plan/ diary my time to attend to mods needed for my boards.

So do you actually mean a mod request forum? Because a mod forum will be for people releasing their work not asking for others to do it.

Again I doubt you will see one until at least beta.

I plan to actually code for the API as soon as I'm able to get a copy, and I have another person willing to learn with me, plus I just mentioned on my forum that anyone interested in learning to code for the API is to let me know, so I can see about getting a forum up and ready to discuss the coding and API. Down the line, you'll eventually see a mod, add-on or template from us. Oddly enough, I was going to start learning how to code for vB, but XF has essentially rendered this redundant now.

Top Bottom