• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Coder wanted to work on xenForo addons for AVForums.com

Stuart Wright

I'm looking for a part time coder who knows vBulletin and has a grounding with xenForo plus the time and willingness to work with us to write the plugins and make the template changes needed to create all the functionality we currently have with vB3.8.
We will be upgrading from vBulletin to xenForo as soon as all the functionality is coded.
You may be required to consult with Kier and/or Mike so they can integrate a small number of the modifications into the core product.
We can discuss the fee which could be on a per addon or per week/month.
I am expecting the work to take at least a month of solid coding spread out over maybe 3 months.

The bulk of the work involves the following list, some of which may already be available in the xenForo addons forum, I don't know.

Interested coders please conversation me :)

** Custom/Major modification hacks
  • vBadvanced like CMPS. Our solution doesn't need to be as fully functional as vBAdvanced, but I do need to make 2 and 3 column pages.
  • Blog -:- Personal web log, integrated with xenForo.
  • Concise List of Forums -:- Presents the forum list in a more user friendly style for forums with a scarily long list of forums.
  • Infraction system
  • User creatable and customisable forums (replacement for Social Groups).
--Minor functionality--
  • Users Registered Today -:- List of users who registered today on the Forum list.
  • Users Viewing Thread -:- Shows a count of users viewing forums and threads.
** For our classifieds forums --
  • iTrader -:- Trader Feedback System
  • Birthdate Forum Restrictions -:- Prevents people from posting to a forum if their DOB puts them at under 18. Forum specific. It is not possible to make an enforceable contract with a minor. It is therefore a bad idea to allow anyone under 18 to participate in your classified forums. This is not a perfect method, but the best we can come up with to ensure your members are over 18. DOB is a required field when registering.
  • Per Forum Post Restriction -:- Limits the number of threads per forum to one per member. This prevents members from flooding our classifieds forums with lots of adverts. This creates the neccessity for
  • Thread Archival -:- Allows members archive their threads to a predefined forum. For when a member wants to archive his classified advert. Old threads are automatically archived. Old=no new post for 30 days.
  • Edit New Thread Button -:- Allows you to customize where the New Thread button sends your users. Used in conjunction with
  • Form Hack -:- User customisable New Thread form, used to modify the new thread posting for classified forums to ensure members read some additional notices and tick an 'I agree' tickbox when starting a new thread.
  • Log of post edits (vanilla functionality in vB).
** General thread/post tools for moderators/admin --
  • Bump Threads/Make Threads older -:- This Hack allows you to bump Threads or make them older
** General enhancements for our users --
  • Canned Replies -:- Save standard post replies
  • CinVin Forum Feed Listing -:- RSS feeds for all the forums on one page.
  • Download Thread As PDF -:- Outputs a thread in PDF format
  • e-steki User modlog -:- Shows members a log of moderation actions performed on their posts/threads. The log appears in their control panel.
  • Username Request -:- This powerful administrative tool will allow members to request usernames. All the requests are stored in a small list for an administrator to viewand approve/deny.
  • PM Auto Reply -:- Option to have every PM automatically replied to with a predefined message. 'out of office' etc.
  • Prevent bumping old threads -:- This Hack prevents Users from bumping old threads. If a thread is a certain number of days old, it requests members tick a box acknowledging that they are aware they are resurrecting an old thread.
  • Public Infraction Notice -:- Adds a note under an infracted post to act as a notice that the post is unacceptable and has earned the author an infraction.
  • Similar thread check v2 -:- Check for similar thread when composing a new one. Ajax search when thread title loses focus.
  • vBCode table -:- Offers a new bbcode
    to create tables in posts.
    [*]vB Survey System -:- A Survey System for vBulletin. Similar to polls but way more flexible. Allows branching and survey reports.
** Moderation tools **
  • Moderator Checkpoint System -:- Enables moderators to mark posts as having been checked. Makes for an efficient method of checking all the posts in even a very busy forum. Full explanation of this complex functionality is available.
  • Multiple Login Detector -:- Cookie-based multiple account login detector. Posts threads in a specified forum when a duplicate member is identified. Vital tool for spotting re-registered banned members.
  • PM Warning -:- Anti-PM spam tool. If the number of PMs for a member are more than the number of posts, details are posted to a moderator forum. Excellent for identified PM spammers.
  • Un-Activated User Management -:- This hack will clean up unactivated users
** SEO stuff --
  • vBSEO :: Sitemap Generator -:- Generate and submit a Google & Yahoo Sitemap for your Forums

tbh, Kier & Mike should take a look at some of those and put them in as mini-addons at the least, if not into the core product, there's a lot of useful things in there.

Good luck with the migration Stuart, I look forward to seeing the result :)

If you want me to upgrade your account on xenfans so you can re-post it there for more exposure stuart, let me know.

Some of the functionality is already available, Stuart. Jaxel has some tools available that can do some of the stuff you need (Sitemap, CMS portal, inactive user cleanup). But good luck with your search. Sounds like a good bunch of useful additions.

If I could get my hands on several modifications (as well as others here), we would be forever grateful.

Per Forum Post Restriction -:- Limits the number of threads per forum to one per member. This prevents members from flooding our classifieds forums with lots of adverts. This creates the neccessity for

This is coming out today, my developer just developed a mod that will let you limit the number of new threads per forum in a time span of X hours. You can specify the number of threads and hours on a per forum basis ;). It also displays a message telling the user when they can post their next thread!

This is coming out today, my developer just developed a mod that will let you limit the number of new threads per forum in a time span of X hours. You can specify the number of threads and hours on a per forum basis ;). It also displays a message telling the user when they can post their next thread!
Does this work on a per-forum basis? So it only applies to certain forums? Also can the time span be made to be forever, so that they can never start more than one thread in the forum?

Does this work on a per-forum basis? So it only applies to certain forums? Also can the time span be made to be forever, so that they can never start more than one thread in the forum?

That would actually be a potential solution to get blogs integrated into XF. Everyone gets a single thread acting as their blog in the blogs forum.

That would actually be a potential solution to get blogs integrated into XF. Everyone gets a single thread acting as their blog in the blogs forum.
People can't post comments on replies. They can reply, but that would be at the same hierarchical level as the OPs blog itself.

People can't post comments on replies. They can reply, but that would be at the same hierarchical level as the OPs blog itself.
Solvable but styling the first post (or keeping it the same), then styling every other post that isn't the first post. Don't think that's that complicated?

Solvable but styling the first post (or keeping it the same), then styling every other post that isn't the first post. Don't think that's that complicated?
Yeah. However, I'd be working with the coder as well as Kier and Mike in order to do something properly rather than rushing or shoehorning. xenForo is such a well thought out product that I'd want quality addons to match it.

There's a mod that lets you repeat first post on every page, so if the first post can be identified, it can be custom styled as well.

Point taken. It'd not be like an actual blog, just a long-running thread. Might work for some, but I can understand why you'd not want to go down tha road.

I have found a coder and we are working through the list. Anyone wanting to chip in with the cost will get to influence the functionality of things like iTrader.

I have found a coder and we are working through the list. Anyone wanting to chip in with the cost will get to influence the functionality of things like iTrader.

Depending on the costs, I'd be willing to chip in for the table BB code and the Blogs. Feel free to shoot me a PC :)

Brogan has posted a table bbcode
Here is the table code I use on my site.

It consists of table, transparent row, white row, grey row, header cell, left-aligned cell, centre-aligned cell and right-aligned cell.

You can see it on the BB Code Help page here: http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/help/bb-codes
And an example of it in use here: http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/threads/the-first-test-of-2011-valencia.2143/page-13#post-34065

You will need to edit the colours to suit.

I have tried it and it works awesome actually.

Top Bottom