CloudFlare / xenForo: Unspecified Error all over the place

Crap ... since I migrated to CloudFlare all hell is loose.

When I send a private message, I get the error. Message is being sent, but you don't see it until refreshed.

When you edit a post and go to more Options (f.e. to upload an attachment) it doesn't go further just displays the error.

And since I had to do exactly what I DIDN'T want to do, changing my ****ing nameservers over to CloudFlare's, nothing helps to stop this, not even deactivating CloudFlare (!!!)

Help!

Update: Flexile Theme is not compatible with CloudFlare. Generates tons of "Unspecified Error" Messages and almost nothing works. Standard theme still works though so it IS Flexile (I run dark standalone)

SOLVED! A simple uninstall of Flexile (Dark Standalone) and (re-) install brought the solution. Why changing your nameservers to CloudFlare would cause this, remains a mystery ...

If you've changed the nameservers over it might be that some things haven't fully propagated yet.

Have you got a URL for your site? I will take a look if you like.

There might be some clues as to what specifically the problem is.

Yesterday someone had a problem with a corrupted xenforo.js file - this just needed reuploading to their CDN for it to start working properly.

omg yes, that must be it !!! partial propagation ... that's the only explanation. although the old DNS is pointing to the same locations ... let's hope for the best. Otherwise, having a problem would be an understatement ..............

If you run Chrome, press F12 and then check the Console tab. This should list any javascript errors such as files not being found or unreferenced object errors etc.

Also, clear your browser cache.

Lastly, if you do share the URL to your page, then other people might be having different experiences with the site. That would definitely be indicative of DNS propagation issues.

Conclusion: Flexile is not compatible with CloudFlare. Generates tons of "Unspecified Error" Messages and almost nothing works. Standard theme still works though so it IS Flexile (I run dark standalone)

That doesn't make any sense.

In what capacity is Cloud Flare being used? Is it a content delivery network? A web host?

I'm not fully sure on what it does. But I can't see why a theme would be incompatible with any service.

If you're getting those unspecified errors from Chrome's F12 console then it would normally list what element is generating the error. Such as xenforo.js or similar.

I tried 8 different browsers on 4 PCs. I installed normal Flexile and reinstalled standalone. They all suffer from the same errors. Other skins and default work. There were no changes before the move to cloudflare. Even if CF is turned 'off' (it is never really off) the errors remain.

It is 100% Flexile in combination with cloudflare. A cloned version of the forum w/o CF still works w/o errors.

There can be no 'corruption from a move to CF' as there is no 'move', you just change NS and wait. And as said: Other themes and default WORK

Fair enough. In that case, best I can do is recommend you poke about with various Cloudflare settings. Specifically: minification, rocket loader, web application firewall (if applicable) and any private beta features you have access to. It's possible the issue was solved by disabling Cloudflare, but you still had a cached version in your browser. May be worth putting your site into development mode while testing these as well.

Other than that, it could be an issue with your web server, but I don't see why Cloudflare would cause issues with Flexile specifically, particularly when disabled. DNS has nothing to do with your forum style.

Aside from that, partial propagation comes to mind. You should definitely try disabling those features I mentioned and switching over to development mode temporarily though; my money is on that.

So, yeah, tl;dr - disable minification, rocket loader, web application firewall, and any private beta features you have access to. Then switch your site into development mode. Then see if the issue is fixed after a hard refresh (ctrl f5). Even if you previously tried disabling Cloudflare altogether.

It is not my webserver i.e. dedicated server as NOTHING has changed there.
No need to poke around, I disabled CloudFlare completele, even the real-IP of the forum was shown again in hostname <-> IP lookup. One might think that at this point it would be as before the NS move but it is not.

Besides all that, I can't emphasize strong enough (and please do not re-suggest the same stuff over an over = useless): Other skins and the default skin WORK (!!!)
If nothing worked, ok, but it does work, besides Flexile. Even installing new Flexile light, dar and standalone has no result = same errors. The issue is definitely with Flexile therefore (pure logic & circling the issue with trial and error).

It would help if you actually answered our attempts to help instead of telling us we're wrong.

If you're getting those unspecified errors from Chrome's F12 console then it would normally list what element is generating the error. Such as xenforo.js or similar.

Also any errors logged in the admin CP logs?

Only thing I know of that causes the same exact issue is Rocketloader. Without javascript console errors and server/ACP error logs, not much more I can do for you beside that guesswork though; sorry.
I second that.

Without error logs, console logs and access to the site we're useless.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom