1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloud syncronization

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dream, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Dream

Dream Active Member

I love how the tech world is converging on syncronizing all your stuff on the cloud. Cell contacts being the most useful one, followed by agenda, personal notes and to-do lists. My only gripe is with security, someone gets your password and you are screwed.

And btw, Google Sync > MobileMe

Forsaken likes this.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Don't take this the wrong way. :) I understand your meaning in the context of your post when you use the word "cloud," but I hate that term. It is better if you can use more specific language.

*gets on soapbox* [​IMG]

Cloud computing is such nonsense. It is essentially a gratuitous relabeling of old technology for the purpose of marketing. The core of cloud computing appears to be the idea of virtualized resources which is not new, and over time the cloud label has changed to encompass lots of other existing technologies.

Most disturbing for me is the way the term has come to be used to describe ignorance. It is as if any resource on the internet for which you don't have detailed technical information is in the cloud. The resource is probably just a white box server on a shelf somewhere but you don't know that so it's in the cloud.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

Ok I'm done ranting. :D

Shadab, Dean and Forsaken like this.
  3. Dream

Dream Active Member

Many videos on this event at Mountain View on Google plans for Cloud Computing. It's long but it's a nice watch if you have interest on cloud.

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

But more to the point of your topic...

I agree that putting your entire life online can be risky. I think you need to strike a balance between convenience and security. And always make local backups of your online life whenever possible.

There is also the problem of control. Richard Stallman often talks about this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

Stallman is pretty hardcore though. Surely there is a balance.

Abomination and Dream like this.