cloud hosting ?

rajkumusa

I am a long user of IPB but xenforo seems to be far better & popular.
But how come Xenforo not providing cloud hosting yet as IPB does..
Who has time to waste these days to take care of server & forum updates..

I sincerely request xenforo to provide on cloud as SAAS with fair monthly plans ..
IPB cloud plans are very expensive and seems their solutions are not that great

Xenforo can attract many customers if forum is provided on cloud hosting with reasonable pricing (at least half of ipb pricing)..
If pricing is reasonable, I may create at least 10 accounts..

Atleast I need to know if it is coming up soon or not because I may go with IPB on cloud ..

Thanks

I don't know if Xenforo would ever offer something like that but I do have to agree they would definitely make a lot of money if they did. Xenforo is definitely more popular and the community is a big one. You get the most out of your money then any other forum software I've used yet. I really suggest you give Xenforo 2 a try. You wouldn't regret it.

I don't know if Xenforo would ever offer something like that but I do have to agree they would definitely make a lot of money if they did. Xenforo is definitely more popular and the community is a big one. You get the most out of your money then any other forum software I've used yet. I really suggest you give Xenforo 2 a try. You wouldn't regret it.
Yep and not offering "cloud" hosting wouldn't be a deal breaker for most people, I suspect.

Software/applications makers must provide their products as SAAS/cloud otherwise they will loose Hugh chunk of business..
btw, like many I can't afford time & efforts to maintain server & forum script updates and also initial software/script cost..

Software/applications makers must provide their products as SAAS/cloud otherwise they will loose Hugh chunk of business..
btw, like many I can't afford time & efforts to maintain server & forum script updates and also initial software/script cost..
There's 100s of hosts compatible with xF who charge reasonable fees and give great service, who manage the hosting for you. You're relating a problem which simply doesn't exist. xF won't lose ANY significant business by not providing "cloud" hosting or any other hosting. It's a silly premise IMO.

Providing cloud hosting would require a huge investment, infrastructure, staffing, etc. There's an untold amount of costs to be able to provide this service (and make it good) to the thousands of customers that XenForo has.

XenForo is a 3 person team (excluding the moderators), so I doubt it's in there best interest right now.

Providing cloud hosting would require a huge investment, infrastructure, staffing, etc. There's an untold amount of costs to be able to provide this service (and make it good) to the thousands of customers that XenForo has.

XenForo is a 3 person team (excluding the moderators), so I doubt it's in there best interest right now.
Hosting a xenforo through a third party you pay a monthly/yearly fee to is baby stuff, really. People who do that won't notice any difference between that and a "cloud."

If no "cloud" is a dealbreaker for buying the platform? That's one percent of one percent of potential customers, I suspect. A difference which makes no difference, is no difference.

I mean.... Shoot, xf could just lease a ton of rack space and charge people to have their xf install on it, and CALL it a "cloud." The infrastructure and staffing costs are part of what you're paying for in the lease. It's mostly a stupid marketing term anyway. Definition of "The Cloud" is:
Cloud computing makes computer resources, especially storage and computing power, available on demand without direct active management by the user. The term is generally used to describe data centers available to many users over the Internet
Isn't that what we'd all reasonably call "shared hosting?"

It's dumb. You're ON "the cloud" if you're on the frikkin internet.

Cloud and/or managed hosting and SAAS are entirely different things. XenForo is not available as SAAS from anyone.
Yup.. I know that..
I expect xenforo provide SAAS soon as IPB does and it's a win-win situation for both xenforo and its users.
Lower initial investment for users and recurring payments for long time for xenforo..
I prefer xenforo than ipb but I may go with ipb for their SAAS to avoid hosting fees , server issues & forum updates and huge initial investment ..

btw
https://www.a2hosting.com/xenforo-hosting claims they provide better xenforo hosting platform.
Any feedback on their claim ?
Thanks ..

Providing cloud hosting would require a huge investment, infrastructure, staffing, etc.
No it wouldn't. They can just get space on Amazon or Google cloud. And they wouldn't incur a dime in expenses until they had paying customers using it.

They wouldn't have to invest in any new facilities or any new employees. Or if so, perhaps one new employee to handle the cloud deployments and management. The typical Xenforo customer would probably use about 50 cents worth of cloud computing a month and Xenforo could probably sell it for around $15 a month and get a ton of customers.

Definition of Cloud Computing:
"Cloud computing makes computer resources, especially storage and computing power, available on demand without direct active management by the user. The term is generally used to describe data centers available to many users over the Internet"

Isn't that what we'd all reasonably call "shared hosting?"
No. Cloud hosting is not shared hosting at all. Shared hosting is when you're packed on a server with a bunch of other people and if the resources you need happen to be available when you need them then you can have them. But if they're not, your site will slow down or not be accessible at all. Cloud hosting - while I agree it's just a marketing gimmick to call it cloud - but it has come to mean something that's very different from shared hosting.

With shared hosting you buy and pay for a certain amount of storage, bandwidth and processing power per month. You buy and pay for what you think will be the most you'll ever need. But 99% of the time you'll never need all that you're paying for. And during that 1% surge you'll probably need a lot more than you're paying for and your site will go down.

Unlike shared hosting, cloud hosting gives you true unlimited storage, bandwidth and power. Your site will run as perfectly if you get 20,000 visits per minute as it will if you get 2 visits per day. More resources in bandwidth, storage and processing power are available than you could ever possibly use. Yet you don't have to pay $200,000 a month to have all that available to you. You only pay for what you use.

And cloud hosting in the context of an online platform such as a forum, has come to mean that the forum provider will be completely responsible for all updates to the software. They'll be the ones who configure everything and make sure it keeps running. And it should be them, really, when you think about it - because they're the experts in this software. You'll never have to lift a finger or touch a thing and the software that runs your site will be constantly and instantly updated to the very latest versions as soon as they're released. And you've seen several comments above from people who say they're tired of having to manage the software updates and configurations. That is indeed a time-consuming pain and I too would be willing to pay a little more to have someone take care of all that. Especially if it came with access to this huge "cloud" infrastructure that could handle any load I could possibly ever put on it without charging me for the vast majority of time when I put no load on it at all.

Top Bottom