XF 2.2 Cloud email bounces from Hotmail

MapleOne

Anyone else having issues on cloud with hotmail/live/outlook bouncing email notifications.

Checking my logs and the soft bounces seem to come from hotmail addresses.

Also a few members registering with hotmail addresses have contacted me about not getting registration verification emails.

I hate hotmail, they give me problems at work too, whenever someone does not get an email its always a bloody hotmail address.

PS. I just sent a test email to a mock member and had that member registered with my personal hotmail address.

I then sent a message to the user from another account and it did not log a bounce and it did not deliver the message notification even though that is set in preferences.

Looks like hotmail is blocking and not even sending to spam

Same, xf cloud mailer is on the blocklist of hotmail/outlook since a few days.
A few months ago they were also on the blocklist. Takes some time to resolve this.

Last edited:
Yes, we are aware.

We have requested them to remove the IP from the blacklist, again.

I use a clinic software for one of my businesses and hotmail is forever banning the IP address. It is legitimate software and clients count on it to get their appointment reminders. The clinic software has thousands of users yet hotmail decides not to deliver the emails. It is so so infuriating.....

Is there a notification setting I can use to tell people to not register with a hotmail address?

communications/notices that would just show up on the registration screen?

Use a notice on the registration screen to let people know.

Trying to figure out how to put a notice just on the registration screen, cannot find a setting in notices for that.

I found this

Screenshot (41).webp

and I am now using that to show a message to users currently using the above addresses but I cannot see a setting for showing a notice on the registration screen.

The register form can appear as a template or overlay, so you may be better off editing the register_macros template like this:

1661895409295.webp

That will appear like this:

1661895430373.webp

I have noticed that existing users with hotmail accounts are being placed into "Email invalid (bounced)" status and as a result unable to login.

is there a way to fix that?

Yeah, that is why I opened the topic.

It's also the people using personal domains hosted on Microsoft servers. I have a user and he is blocked on his personal domain email hosted on Microsoft.

is there a way to fix that?
yeah... have them complain to Microsoft that they are blocking (overly aggressively as normal) perfectly valid domains due to their filters.
It's not a lot that XF can do about it other than request that Microsoft exclude the IP of the sending MTA server that they use for sending mail.
You as an admin can also submit a complaint, but it won't carry as much weight as the end user ones.
This is ALL on Microsoft.
That's one of the reasons I've been happy with finally getting Amazon SES implemented... the email from their server(s) seems to get delivered reliably to Hotmail/Outlook/Live.

t's not a lot that XF can do about it other than request that Microsoft exclude the IP of the sending MTA server that they use for sending mail.
Well that is not entirely true. Microsoft blocks ip's for mailservers with a bad reputation. They do this to prevent spam. The problem is that there are a lot of XF Cloud forums sending mail with this IP. If one of those forums are doing bad things, the IP can get blocked for everyone.
Over time, if everything settles, the reputation of the mailserver wil get better, but this takes time.
In the mean time I choose to use my own SMTP (MXroute, as they have a very good reputation).

Well that is not entirely true. Microsoft blocks ip's for mailservers with a bad reputation. They do this to prevent spam. The problem is that there are a lot of XF Cloud forums sending mail with this IP. If one of those forums are doing bad things, the IP can get blocked for everyone.
Over time, if everything settles, the reputation of the mailserver wil get better, but this takes time.
In the mean time I choose to use my own SMTP (MXroute, as they have a very good reputation).
Sorry... they don't only block IP's with a "bad reputation"... I've had SEVERAL different servers set up with MTA's that had a PERFECTLY CLEAN IP (and NOT shared with anyone else) from ALL standard checks you could perform... but they were STILL blocked by Microsoft until you took special mitigation efforts.
Fact remains... MS outlook/live/hotmail has some of the MOST STRINGENT blocking in place of almost ANY email service provider.
Sorry to burst the news to you...but I'm nowhere near a neophyte on setting up a mail server... either from scratch or using products like Mail in a Box....... over the last 20 years I've done this a time or two hundred.

But in one part you are correct... if XF is hosting sites that turn out to be doing massive mail sends that are reported as spam by the recipients, then it will get a black mark. That's one reason I don't like using a shared hosting email provider that uses one IP (or a few) IP's... I'm at the mercy of those other sites that also use that sending IP.... and I can promise you that there are some XF admins that will be pushing out mail left and right thinking "If I get our site/face in front of the user, they are more likely to keep coming back" and not realize all they do is p*ss the end user off by sending WAY to much mail which then frequently gets reported as spam.

Having a good chunk of my user base on MS services, and at the risk of all of them going into this limbo state "Email invalid (bounced)" at any moment, there has to be some workaround, even in the meanwhile as XF cloud works with MS to resolve the issue. @Brogan @Chris D

Having a good chunk of my user base on MS services, and at the risk of all of them going into this limbo state "Email invalid (bounced)" at any moment, there has to be some workaround, even in the meanwhile as XF cloud works with MS to resolve the issue. @Brogan @Chris D
Set up Amazon SES? I'm currently on their free tier since my site isn't that big... but I've had NO problems with Microsoft outlook/live/hotmail delivery.

Top Bottom