closing threads critical of XF's lack of communication is not helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

User

It was just a year ago that I first signed up here, bought a license and monkeyed around with it. I never did deploy it into production because I felt that it just wasn't a mature enough product for my use especially when it came to the wealth (or lack thereof) of mods available.

I recently renewed support for that license more on principle than because I had a need for it, and I did do the renewal before I checked the forums and came across the info about XenForo being stagnant.

Jake, I don't think you are doing anyone a favor by closing threads which are critical of how the XF team is handling the information flow to current and potential new customers. Your "current news" includes a note about Kier being back, except that he posted that note over 4 months ago.

If I had to guess then I'd say that most current (paying!) customers don't care about when 1.2 comes out. What they care about is some communication from XF (the company, not a mod, no offense to you personally but you don't speak for KAM) that assures the current and future customers that XF is still a viable choice when it comes to forum software.

Frankly, I don't believe it's your place as a mod to close down threads that request that type of communication especially when a long standing community member has pointed out that all attempts of contacting the XF team by other means to request information have failed.

So unless you are working for XF (the company) your purpose here is to moderate and to make sure that users behave in an acceptable way and treat each other decently. It is certainly not your place to block the requests for information. If you feel that you cannot effectively moderate a thread that is merely asking for clarification from the XF team because such a thread will inevitably get out of hand with nasty comments, then you are not the right pick for a mod.

Mods have the often thankless job of keeping users in check but they are never, at least in my experience, the deciders what information can and cannot be asked for.

I absolutely agree that we do not want a thread full of speculation. The solution to this issue is easy. There needs to be an official XF announcement about the future of XF. If the future depends on the outcome of the lawsuit then that needs to be stated by the XF team. Silence and obfuscation is not the answer. Informed customers are a lot more forgiving than those who are kept in the dark.

Calling into question the capabilities or integrity of Jake is completely unacceptable. I resent that paragraph even being added. He has put back more into this community than nearly every single other person on this board.

As has been previously stated on multiple occassions, when XF have something official to announce they will do so in the official forum. What more is there to say?

Calling into question the capabilities or integrity of Jake is completely unacceptable. I resent that paragraph even being added. He has put back more into this community than nearly every single other person on this board.
The wealth of previous contributions doesn't mean that someone can't make a bad judgement call. Not sure why that needs to be explained/pointed out. Shutting down well thought of requests for more timely information was a bad judgement call because on face value it is an effort to prevent having an honest discussion about what is happening to the XF project.

As has been previously stated on multiple occassions, when XF have something official to announce they will do so in the official forum. What more is there to say?
Coders are not PR people, I get that, but when it comes to commercial products in development "no news is good news" doesn't apply, it's the other way around and no news is bad news.

Come out and say that everyone on the XF team had to get full time jobs elsewhere (if that is the case, I am just making this up!) in order to pay the legal cost and that the development is on hold pending the outcome of the lawsuit. At least that would be some concrete info from an authoritative source and something people can base their decisions on. Right now it appears as if the XF team is MIA and that perception cannot be the intend of anyone involved in the project in any way.

The wealth of previous contributions doesn't mean that someone can't make a bad judgement call. Not sure why that needs to be explained/pointed out. Shutting down well thought of requests for more timely information was a bad judgement call because on face value it is an effort to prevent having an honest discussion about what is happening to the XF project.

Coders are not PR people, I get that, but when it comes to commercial products in development "no news is good news" doesn't apply, it's the other way around and no news is bad news.

Come out and say that everyone on the XF team had to get full time jobs elsewhere (if that is the case, I am just making this up!) in order to pay the legal cost and that the development is on hold pending the outcome of the lawsuit. At least that would be some concrete info from an authoritative source and something people can base their decisions on. Right now it appears as if the XF team is MIA and that perception cannot be the intend of anyone involved in the project in any way.

Your conerns are noted and will be passed on.

However this doesn't alter the facts that when an official announcement is made it will be done in the official forum.

Creating multiple threads asking for updates or communication is not constructive nor helping and only serves to act as a catalyst to allow people to attack each other depending on their views, which, given how this thread has already generated half a dozen reports...

If you agree with the OP's point, I suggest you "like" his post to show your support.

As such. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom