XF 2.1 Clicking a thread I've been participating in not taking me to last viewed/participated page

NealC

I've been participating in a long running thread. I visit the forum, click the thread, I'd prefer to go to my last page I read or posted. Instead it just takes me to the beginning so then I have to figure out where I left off last which is not efficient. Anyone to better handle this?

HotRodCarts

For me clicking on the date takes you to the last post. If there was other new posts before the date you have to scroll up.

gerryvz

I raised this same issue recently. It seems to be an intermittent bug that makes itself apparent in long (multi-page) threads, as well as threads with a lot of images/attachments that takes time to load. Evidently it is some sort of time-out issue having to do with the thread loading.

There's more here:

and especially here:

HotRodCarts

For me it happens on any thread no matter how long it is pics or no pics. I changed Read marking data lifetime: to 180 days in ACP and it helped but still happens in threads older than that if there's new replies if I haven't viewed the thread in more than 180 days. I have the issue on all XF2.x forums I visit with all browsers I use since XF2 was released.

NealC

What I've noticed is if you click on a thread that has new content it will take you to it. If you click on the thread after that then you're taken to the first post.

gerryvz

@Brogan is correct, and that's the behavior I see.

One exception to this is in the "Latest Posts" widget on the right side of the main screen, clicking on a listed thread (even if it's been read before) will bring you to the last post in the thread. Again, as it should.

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 3.47.56 PM.png

I think the issue discussed above has been upon the initial click, after a thread has new content posted, it is intermittent (particularly with longer or image-heavy threads) in bringing the user to the newest, unread thread.