Lack of interest Click near thread title to rename thread on thread list

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Gladius

Can we get the option to rename threads by clicking near thread title on thread list like in vB? This makes it infinitely more convenient to rename threads or fix typos in them than having to delve deeper into the threads for the same thing.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Actually I think it's single-click in vB. There could be a button for it near every thread title too really, though it's redundant if it's a higher-level function only available to mods and admins (I believe) who are expected to have more knowledge of board functions that regular users. Though as long as permissions allow changing of thread titles the regular users should be able to change their own that way too I guess.

Doh, I can't believe I missed that. I guess I'm just not used to looking at the far right part of the list because there's nothing there in vB. Selective blindness... this way is ok I guess, though it's a bit more gimmicky with the waiting for the inline pane to drop down, then searching for the save button again, clicking, waiting again to save... it doesn't take long, sure, though compared to vB's instant edit with almost no interface it takes much longer.

I'd at least expand the title field in the menu to wrap to the length of the title as there's really no reason for it to make you scroll inside that small space to e.g. find the last few words of the title to change, which adds to wasted time even further.

Bump on this one. Edit function today is ok, but double clicking is faster which is important. Lots of titles to change...

Find alot of threads around this so people definitely has found the function, so I would say it's "discoverable". And good UI as it's fast once you found it.

Double clicking is faster than single clicking?

Doing an action twice is quicker than doing it once?

And good UI as it's fast once you found it.
Having to discover it means it's not good UI.
I certainly wouldn't go around a site double clicking things just to see if anything happened.

You have to click edit, move mouse click on text field and then press enter, right? Maybe we should hold a competition :) I think I will win, double click, edit and enter... next :) XF will lose on the move mouse delay.

I think forum moderators are quite technical people in general. As I said, with this many threads asking about this function many seems to use it.

You have to click edit, move mouse click on text field and then press enter, right?
Well that's really quite tricky, isn't it? I mean, you save a whole lot of energy by using an extra click rather than a mouse move, plus literally milliseconds of time saved too.

I think forum moderators are quite technical people in general.
Having an obvious Edit link to edit titles is hardly technical, certainly less so than an unobvious double click which is just poor UI.

As I said, with this many threads asking about this function many seems to use it.
What many threads? I see just this one thread requesting it and only two people have commented. No-one else has liked the suggestion in the first post. Therefore I'd suggest that there really isn't the demand for it.

What this is more about is a small number of admins coming from some forum software that uses the unobvious double click edit and wanting things to be the same on XenForo. Well, it's not the same and for good reason. Hopefully XenForo will stick to their guns and not implement this bad UI request.

Well that's really quite tricky, isn't it? I mean, you save a whole lot of energy by using an extra click rather than a mouse move, plus literally milliseconds of time saved too.

Having an obvious Edit link to edit titles is hardly technical, certainly less so than an unobvious double click which is just poor UI.

What many threads? I see just this one thread requesting it and only two people have commented. No-one else has liked the suggestion in the first post. Therefore I'd suggest that there really isn't the demand for it.

What this is more about is a small number of admins coming from some forum software that uses the unobvious double click edit and wanting things to be the same on XenForo. Well, it's not the same and for good reason. Hopefully XenForo will stick to their guns and not implement this bad UI request.

Thank heavens XF has such champions as Martok, defending the poor little thing from the hordes of unwashed vB barbarians ready to tear down its clothes and do unspeakable things to its pretty interface! :giggle:

Top Bottom