XF 2.0 "Clean" Upgrade to XF2

mjda

I'd really like to upgrade to XF2, but also remove as many of the old files as possible (without losing attachments, avatars, etc). So my question is, what directories/files do I have to keep (bare minimum) in tact in order to not lose any data, but still have as few abandoned files/folders as possible?

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

The bulk of the XF2 code is stored in a different place to XF1, so in that respect it's already fairly clean. The XF2 code is stored in the src directory.

If you no longer want the old XF1 code on the server then you would just remove the library directory after the upgrade is complete (emphasis on after because for a successful upgrade we'll need the original config file during the upgrade process).

The bulk of the XF2 code is stored in a different place to XF1, so in that respect it's already fairly clean. The XF2 code is stored in the src directory.

If you no longer want the old XF1 code on the server then you would just remove the library directory after the upgrade is complete (emphasis on after because for a successful upgrade we'll need the original config file during the upgrade process).

Ok, great, thanks! Not sure how I didn't think of that.

I'm assuming that the internal_data and data dirs still need to stay on the server too since it looks like both of those dirs will just be reused. So far it looks to me that everything can be removed before the upgrade except the library, data, and internal_data dirs. That sound right to you?

So aside from library is there a list anywhere of what isn't needed anymore?

Or is the only way to compare the files etc?

The only way is to compare files.

For the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. If leaving the old files was a significant issue due to security, disk space or other concerns then we'd have a process to clean them up for you.
maybe add to file integrity checker tool a separate option to find orphaned files from xenforo 1.5.x and list them ? that way users could opt to remove them manually ?

Disk space usage is not insignificant either. I had a fairly new install of XenForo which I upgraded to to 2.0. Before the actual upgrade, I did some comparisons of a full clean install vs. an upgrade and here is what I found for my forum:

XF1 install size: 35M
XF2 clean install: 70M
Xf1 -> XF2 upgrade: 104M

The two takeaways:
1. XF2 clean install is twice the size of XF1.
2. XF2 upgrade install size ≈ XF1 clean install size + XF2 clean install size

While 34MB is not massive, it is not something to sneeze at either. Looks like deleting the library folder will save about 27MB.

About 2.9MB is used up install/data (which does not exist in an XF2 clean install) – but I am not sure if deleting this will cause any issues with XF2.

Top Bottom