Claudebot - Thousands of Hits

alexm

Just in case you didn't see this, in recent weeks suddenly...

Added to robots.txt:
Code:
User-agent: anthropic-ai
Disallow: /

It seems to obey the rules with robots.txt at this moment in time, so that is one solution.

Regards,

Alex

Last edited:
Not going to lie- they have been tearing my site up and I didnt know who it was until I installed the KnownBots addon. I even started to block Amazon AWS IP addresses.

Wow, just blocked that useragent in Cloudflare and it already blocked 300 requests in a few minutes.
Looks like it is a bot that gathers data for AI.

I (as a website owner) have an opinion about that...

Wow, just blocked that useragent in Cloudflare and it already blocked 300 requests in a few minutes.
Looks like it is a bot that gathers data for AI.

I (as a website owner) have an opinion about that...
Yeah, as an "oldtimer" in this Internet stuff, having "AI" shoved in my face every time I turn around is getting annoying.

Just found this at Reddit...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

User Agent: compatible; "ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot\@anthropic.com"
Before April 19, it was just: "claudebot"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1716218324715.webp
What should we be blocking as a user-agent? Under our domain in Cloudflare, I can add user agent blocking under Security/WAF and add something like (lower(http.user_agent) contains "claude") or (lower(http.user_agent) contains "anthropic") which should catch them, I think? (I'm thinking "contains" might be enough of a wildcard on both terms to catch both variants...?)

Last edited:
What should we be blocking as a user-agent?

Yes, a simple match on claudebot should do the trick.

I capture user agents from sites using my KnownBots addon so I can analyse them to identify bots - I currently have 59,540 user agents in the database. This is useful because it allows me to search the database of user agents to see whether a simple match will be sufficient or whether it will lead to false-positives.

In this case, the only user agents matching claudebot are:

(note that I strip certain variables like version numbers from certain strings to minimise duplicates - hence the AppleWebKit/0.0)

I've had to block claudebot at the Cloudflare level on several of my sites because of this bad behaviour.

Wow, thanks for that. And I should probably get that addon one of these days. I had one of my low-traffic sites get slammed a couple of weeks ago and I'm betting that was the culprit, as I've blocked most other bots using Cloudflare.

Top Bottom