1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Chrome Tab to Search on address bar feature

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Andy.N, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

When you type in youtube.com on your Chrome address bar, you can press tab and it will allow you to search videos on youtube.com

It would be nice if xenforo allow this so that any xenforo-powered site can use this feature

http://www.chromium.org/tab-to-search

eberkund likes this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This would be neat, but it doesn't look like it will work with XenForo very well:
    If you use full-friendly URLs, you get a path regardless, and anyone with searching under the root directory (ie this community), it seems like Chromium will ignore it.

3. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems like using it will result in mysite.com/?s=andy while xf default search will lead to mysite.com/search/1540259/?q=andy&o=date

4. Jeremy

I mean, I guess XenForo could provide (or someone could write) an add-on that adds a searching script where it just takes the input from Chrome and redirects the users to the proper search, which in turn does the search. But that is slightly hackish.

I think Chrome needs to lighten the restrictions here slightly before its viable for a widespread implementation in the default software. Such a redirect hack shouldn't be necessary.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Developing a feature which only works in one browser seems an unusual thing to do.

6. Jeremy

Normally I would agree, but reading the docs seems like it's just adding some XML and giving Chrome the link.

7. SheepCow

SheepCow Well-Known Member

Most of the popular browsers support OpenSearch (IE, Firefox, Chrome definitely do)