Chrome Extension

I have debugged this.

Forum owners, this won't work on your site if you have the "Facebook Open Graph Logo" link pointing to a file that doesn't exist.

Hi Daniel, how do we fix this? How would I know if my Facebook Open Graph Logo is pointing to a file?

It's set within the style properties under the section "Header and Navigation". You can also view it by viewing the source and finding this element:
Code:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="......." />
if you go to the link in the "href" attribute and it's not an image, you know the file doesn't exist.

Little did we know, Daniel was gathering viewing data for all the xF users. :p

I'm gonna try it out, and hopefully if it all works out, I'll recommend it for our users/other forums I run/visit.

I'm not logging any data, I am passing the url of the XenForo site you're visiting to my site so that I can target ads at a later date but I haven't even started logging those urls yet.

I forget exactly where I posted it but I have mentioned my intent to post one ad but it'll be small and will be the very bottom of the sidebar. I don't know when I'll get around to doing this but the reason I'm going to start logging the urls eventually is to avoid putting ads that may be offensive. When I do start advertising, I'll be posting a lot of information related to the ads along with ways in which you can remove them.

I doubt I'll get around to this any time soon as I'm very busy with http://xenreviews.com so enjoy it ad free for a while longer.

[Edit] I realize you were joking anyways but figured I should mention it anyways to avoid any skeptisism by readers/users.

[Edit] I realize you were joking anyways but figured I should mention it anyways to avoid any skeptisism by readers/users.

Yup. I trust that you weren't actually gathering data on us. As far as the ad, would you then sell a license to forums to provide ad free versions or?

Yup. I trust that you weren't actually gathering data on us. As far as the ad, would you then sell a license to forums to provide ad free versions or?

Yeah, once I have the time to start logging the urls and working on finding the ads I want to display I'll be setting up pages for both users and forum owners to make their ip or url be ad free. For the user they would pay $x and type in the ip they don't want to see ads on. For owners they'd pay $x and enter the url of their forums that they don't want people to see ads on.

I'll have the entire system set up before I display a single ad so it'll probably be a few months before this happens.

Yeah, once I have the time to start logging the urls and working on finding the ads I want to display I'll be setting up pages for both users and forum owners to make their ip or url be ad free. For the user they would pay $x and type in the ip they don't want to see ads on. For owners they'd pay $x and enter the url of their forums that they don't want people to see ads on.

I'll have the entire system set up before I display a single ad so it'll probably be a few months before this happens.

Well, definitely sign me up for that.

I really like this plug-in. It's very handy, but honestly, once it starts displaying ads on forums I visit. I will disable it. Many sites have too many ads as it is. Also as you and I discussed, I think displaying an ad on someones forum without their consent is going to cause a lot of drama and negative feedback.

I really like this plug-in. It's very handy, but honestly, once it starts displaying ads on forums I visit. I will disable it. Many sites have too many ads as it is. Also as you and I discussed, I think displaying an ad on someones forum without their consent is going to cause a lot of drama and negative feedback.

I definitely think a plug for his site is fair game. Just a small little thing. But I guess it depends what we mean by ads here.

I expect some negative backlash, it commonly happens. A lot of free extensions and internet tools come with ads, it should be semi-expected on the user's end. I also don't hide it in any mention of the extension. The forum owners shouldn't be offended as I'm not actually controlling the content of their site. Only the person using my plugin will ever see it. I could get the argument of me making money off their site but it should be considered a fair exchange since I'm also driving traffic back to their site. Someone that makes a habit of going to a site once a day, gets an alert and suddenly they went there twice that day. I'm not putting my ad in place of their ad, I'm not changing links on their page, I'm going to make sure not to put offensive ads up, etc. It really shouldn't be a problem.

And if you don't want the ad, you'll have the option to click -> go to my site -> make a payment -> not get an ad for your ip address again.

I definitely think a plug for his site is fair game. Just a small little thing. But I guess it depends what we mean by ads here.

It'll be referral links most likely. Not entirely sure yet, and once again it's probably months away from happening.

xf_ad.webp

I temporarly enabled the ad script for my ip. It only loads on pages with a sidebar and it always goes to the bottom of the sidebar.

Well, I'd definitely be interested in following up with you on it. And if the ad itself places itself on the forum, I think it's important to indicate the extension caused it, not the forum.

As far as the functionality of the extension, I'm liking it a lot. I do wish when I clicked on the alert it when to the forum that is open, instead of opening a brand new tab. But that's minute.

I'll be posting a lot more information along with asking for suggestions on different aspects of it before I implement them. I'll also allow people the chance to opt out before they even start. This is all a few months away though. As much as I want to monetize this, I have way higher priorities at the moment so everyone gets it ad free for the next however long I'm busy lol

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but I'm working on an extension that checks the sites you visit for alerts/messages.

Here's what I have so far:

View attachment 59819

It does alerts too, I just didn't have any and it's easier to mark a message unread than it is to forge an alert.

When you visit a site that uses XenForo and you're logged in, it adds that site to the list of sites to check updates for. It checks every 5 minutes. If you get an alert or a new message then it will pop up this notification.

It uses your open graph logo for that image.

You can install it from here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/forum-alerts/leiehnemnmkljaaahpadjodmghkhlhjj
Hi - is there a newer version of this anywhere?

Top Bottom