As designed Choosing "Never asks again" for push notifications doesn't persist

Jake B.

Affected version
2.1 Beta 4
I'm guessing this is because it stores this property as a cookie or in local storage or something along those lines, but I'd imagine most people who say "Never ask again" likely mean it so may make sense to set as a user option (and if they change their mind later they can change this on their account page or something). Not a big deal, just a bit annoying when it asks me every time I log in :P

As long as you're not taking 10 years between logins, I don't know why you would get this every time you log in, assuming you're talking about the same device?

Once you click "Never ask again" it sets a cookie on that device for 10 years. That cookie is deliberately not cleared on logout so it should persist.

If you're referring to using different browsers or different devices and still being asked the question then it is intentional that it works in this way. I don't think it's necessarily a given then you want to enable or disable push notifications on every device. Certainly most devices I use I want them enabled, but when I say "Never ask again" on my Windows PC that I don't use very often, I don't want that to mean I'm never asked again on some other device I use more frequently, for example.

I was considering making it more clear that the question pertains to the specific device rather than generally, but I feel like it does that sufficiently:
We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.

So, all in all, I don't think there's anything to change here.

As long as you're not taking 10 years between logins, I don't know why you would get this every time you log in, assuming you're talking about the same device?

I've got Chrome on my Macbook setup to clear cookies and cache every week or so automatically, so that's the cause then

I was considering making it more clear that the question pertains to the specific device rather than generally, but I feel like it does that sufficiently:
So, all in all, I don't think there's anything to change here.

I think the issue may be the wording of the options:

I'd see "Never ask me again" as just that, not "Never ask me again on this browser". Even with that being the case it'd be nice to have a way to specify that I don't want to enable push notifications on a user at all regardless of device

I've got Chrome on my Macbook setup to clear cookies and cache every week or so automatically, so that's probably related
Of course it's related. Unfortunately if you're doing something specific which clears cookies, you are obviously going to lose certain settings, preferences, user state etc. in doing that.

I'd see "Never ask me again" as just that, not "Never ask me again on this browser". Even with that being the case it'd be nice to have a way to specify that I don't want to enable push notifications on a user at all regardless of device
The message explicitly states on this device so your interpretation of the message is wrong. It could be clarified further, but I really don't think that is necessary as it would just serve to confound the existing options there.

Top Bottom